Radd Cruiser Electric Locking Hub Adapters: Kit with 2 plates & hardware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

@Radd Cruisers

can you talk abou this kit?

The 4 studs that are only threaded into the adapter plate, these are shorter than normal?

then the customer also sources 4x extra longer studs, cones, washers, nuts

+ 2x hubs

Thanks

@Radd Cruisers

can you talk abou this kit?

The 4 studs that are only threaded into the adapter plate, these are shorter than normal?

then the customer also sources 4x extra longer studs, cones, washers, nuts

+ 2x hubs

Thanks
The provided studs are standard length OEM hub studs.

The other 4 studs you are thinking of are re-used from the studs that exist with the electric locking hub, with their respective cone washers etc.

The kit is complete: there are no other parts to source, other than selecting the hubs you want to run.

~John

added:

I can email you the instructions if you want to read them. They are very complete and have been commented on as among the most complete instructions provided for any kit.

The provided studs are standard length OEM hub studs.

The other 4 studs you are thinking of are re-used from the studs that exist with the electric locking hub, with their respective cone washers etc.

The kit is complete: there are no other parts to source, other than selecting the hubs you want to run.

~John

added:

I can email you the instructions if you want to read them. They are very complete and have been commented on as among the most complete instructions provided for any kit.
Thanks ok that makes sense. The only other question I have is, are you aware of any flange based solutions? I’m guessing somebody has made some. This would put you locked all the time but I can’t think of a reason it would harm anything.

Thanks ok that makes sense. The only other question I have is, are you aware of any flange based solutions? I’m guessing somebody has made some. This would put you locked all the time but I can’t think of a reason it would harm anything.
May different Land Cruisers came with drive flanges (aka drive plates) as the factory installed non-option, "poor man's" vehicle.

Other models such as many of the 80 series had flanges as they are full-time 4WD and require them since adding selectable hubs would mean the vehicle would not move if they were disconnected (because of the internal center differential in the transfer case).

With the LJ, KZJ, and HZJ models (mostly from Japan) that had factory installed electric locking hubs, the bearing hubs (the part the brake rotor and wheel bolts to) are too short to permit adding a drive flange.

As for recommending a drive flange... nah, not really a good idea when there are good manual locking hubs to choose from.

The only "harms" from running a drive flange are that you're turning all the parts in the front end all the time. You will have added vibration, reduced fuel economy, somewhat increased wear etc.

~John

May different Land Cruisers came with drive flanges (aka drive plates) as the factory installed non-option, "poor man's" vehicle.

Other models such as many of the 80 series had flanges as they are full-time 4WD and require them since adding selectable hubs would mean the vehicle would not move if they were disconnected (because of the internal center differential in the transfer case).

With the LJ, KZJ, and HZJ models (mostly from Japan) that had factory installed electric locking hubs, the bearing hubs (the part the brake rotor and wheel bolts to) are too short to permit adding a drive flange.

As for recommending a drive flange... nah, not really a good idea when there are good manual locking hubs to choose from.

The only "harms" from running a drive flange are that you're turning all the parts in the front end all the time. You will have added vibration, reduced fuel economy, somewhat increased wear etc.

~John

except for the fact that drive flanges are about 1/2 the cost of those maunaul hubs. those manual hubs that never break. I have 2x trucks with manual hubs love them just was asking if you know of a drive fange that would work with this configuration.

if you change the bearing hub and spindles to the non-electric locking hub versions you can use a drive flange.

I expect it should work just fine to run a drive flange on top of the adapter plates too.

It's really a matter of which way you want to go.

And, yes, you're right, the Aisin manual hubs have a very, very low failure rate in stock applications (it's usually the outer cover that gets broken) and still enjoy a very low failure rate in modified applications and even more so when upgraded parts are used (the internal dog clutch, for example).

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom