Rack and Pinion replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently purchased an 03 LX470 in northern VA that I have been baselining. Like many northern rigs, there is some rust, so I have been treating that as well. While doing so, I pulled the front plastic skid cover off today to get a visual under it. All looked good except for one area. The front differential assembly support (52380-60040) was covered in some kind of fluid. Looking around it, I didn't see any leaks, so I believe its coming from above. All CV boots are intact and no grease is leaking. Looking through various forums, I believe it could be a leaking steering rack. Im definitely not a mechanic, so I could be off. None the less, I contacted OTRAMM here in Northern VA to get a quote for a steering rack replacement. From his response, they can look at it, but they don't replace that many, and often its a small leak, which they use Lucas Power Steering stop leak to correct. No quote was given. Because I have some cash set aside for big expense items like this, Im having trouble finding a rack and pinion for an 03 LX470. The prices vary exponentially amongst different sellers. Id like to stick to OEM. I found one from a local Lexus dealer for $1,046, but this seems extremely high compared to what Ive seen on various forums. Can anyone provide the correct product code? Also, ballpark, what can I expect to pay for a steering rack replacement? Thanks for the help. Most posts I've seen relating to this topic are from 2016. Im set up for an appointment at OTRAMM in 2 months.

1624243575583.png

Recently purchased an 03 LX470 in northern VA that I have been baselining. Like many northern rigs, there is some rust, so I have been treating that as well. While doing so, I pulled the front plastic skid cover off today to get a visual under it. All looked good except for one area. The front differential assembly support (52380-60040) was covered in some kind of fluid. Looking around it, I didn't see any leaks, so I believe its coming from above. All CV boots are intact and no grease is leaking. Looking through various forums, I believe it could be a leaking steering rack. Im definitely not a mechanic, so I could be off. None the less, I contacted OTRAMM here in Northern VA to get a quote for a steering rack replacement. From his response, they can look at it, but they don't replace that many, and often its a small leak, which they use Lucas Power Steering stop leak to correct. No quote was given. Because I have some cash set aside for big expense items like this, Im having trouble finding a rack and pinion for an 03 LX470. The prices vary exponentially amongst different sellers. Id like to stick to OEM. I found one from a local Lexus dealer for $1,046, but this seems extremely high compared to what Ive seen on various forums. Can anyone provide the correct product code? Also, ballpark, what can I expect to pay for a steering rack replacement? Thanks for the help. Most posts I've seen relating to this topic are from 2016. Im set up for an appointment at OTRAMM in 2 months.

I had a power steering fluid leak on the Hilux P/S pump. Was using some unbranded fluid. Flushed all that with Mobil-1 ATF and the leak went away. Get about a gallon of ATF Valvoline or similar and do a flush and see. Clean the P/S reservoir screen too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom