Quick question about lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When people are referring to a 1-2" inch lift or whatever kind of lift really, what is this compared to? AHC in N mode? or is it AHC in High?
Thanks

Unrelated photo for your troubles:
IMG_3721.JPG

It’s for cruisers without AHC (and for those who removed their AHC, although at that point the lift would probably be referring to the starting height you would have had if you had traditional suspension to begin with).

…Unless you’re specifically talking about an AHC lift, which generally just means modifying the height sensors to make your ride heights all a bit higher. You can go deeper into it by adding a shock brackets, but that’s about the extent of an AHC lift. I think it tops out around 2.5” extra. Usually measured N to N but probably the same L to L and H to H.

It’s for cruisers without AHC (and for those who removed their AHC, although at that point the lift would probably be referring to the starting height you would have had if you had traditional suspension to begin with).

…Unless you’re specifically talking about an AHC lift, which generally just means modifying the height sensors to make your ride heights all a bit higher. You can go deeper into it by adding a shock brackets, but that’s about the extent of an AHC lift. I think it tops out around 2.5” extra. Usually measured N to N but probably the same L to L and H to H.
Thanks! I see.

I've been thinking about this in the wrong way.

Is the ride-height for an AHC equipped 100 in N the same as the ride-height for a non-AHC 100?

They are LITERALLY thousands of nanometers different.

Good question. Probably similar, but probably not the same.

Before I did the "AHC lift", I had the following heights (after getting pressures in spec, except for RR):
FR 19.5
FL 19.5
RR 21
RL 20.5
All in inches. Measured from center of wheel cap to bottom lip of fender. Note that I had stock tires at the time. Also the previous springs were nearly 20 years old and had some sag, so a new cruiser would be different.

Hopefully someone with a non-AHC cruiser can comment on their baseline heights, then you'll have your answer!

Is the ride-height for an AHC equipped 100 in N the same as the ride-height for a non-AHC 100?

Mostly, for our convenience we all use measurements from hub centre to fender lip to express ride height. The hub to fender measurements are independent of wheel/tyre size but are not independent of 'lift'. These are approximations and are not part of the actual specifications given by Toyota in its Factory Service Manual (FSM).

The approximations arise because measuring the details to compare with FSM specifications (see below) is quite fiddly while crawling around under the vehicle -- although easier if there is a platform lift available which can lift the vehicle under the wheels (such as used in wheel alignment workshop).

For AHC-equipped LC100 vehicles, the widely-recognised approximate measurements are Front 19.75 inches (or 500 millimetres) and Rear 20.50 inches (or 520 millimetres) across all markets, measured hub to fender. As with all AHC measurements and settings, these height measurements are taken at "N" height setting with the vehicle in standard condition (not lifted) on a level surface, steering straight ahead, with no people and no variable load on board, with fuel full.

For non-AHC LC100 vehicles, there is considerable height variation between model configurations and markets. I have yet to see widely recognised height approximations, similar to those used for AHC-equipped vehicles.

The "standard heights" for LC100 vehicles with Independent Front Suspension (IFS) are shown on the first page of the attached extract from the FSM, expressed in the way Toyota does these things.

In this table (also pasted below), height differences can be seen between "GENERAL (which includes USA) with 2UZ-FE engine", and, "WITH AHC System" (which is the same for all engines in all markets). These differences are independent of the method of measurement. On these numbers, an AHC-equipped LC100 vehicle at "N" height is indicated at 0.276 inches (7 millimetres) higher at the Front and 1.575 inches (40 millimetres) higher at the Rear, than a non-AHC equipped vehicle. I have always been a bit surprised and a little sceptical about this difference in specification Rear heights. While I have owned AHC and non-AHC LC100's at different times, I have never been in situation in which an AHC-equipped vehicle and a non-AHC equipped vehicle could be compared side-by-side.

Maybe others can comment .... it could be that I am missing something here?

LC100 Heights.jpg

For a general description of the AHC/TEMS system in the FSM, including the height changes available at “LO” height and “HI”height, go to:
https://lc100e.github.io/manual/
At the top left of the opening page, follow the first “New Car Features” tab
Then follow CHASSIS > Suspension > Active Height Control Suspension and Skyhook TEMS

Some idea of the differences between overall vehicle specifications including overall heights to the roofline can be found in the FSM. Go to:
https://lc100e.github.io/manual/
At the top left of the opening page, follow “New Car Features” tabs for your model year
Select “MAJOR TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS”
Note third line in these tables which gives overall vehicle height
Move across the table to find your model designation in the table headings

Attachments

• LC100 Heights m_sa_0009.pdf
    162.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Mostly, for our convenience we all use measurements from hub centre to fender lip to express ride height. The hub to fender measurements are independent of wheel/tyre size but are not independent of 'lift'. These are approximations and are not part of the actual specifications given by Toyota in its Factory Service Manual (FSM).

Fantastic info, thank you very much!

Love the 100 fender flairs, what brand are they, and do they require cutting the original fender sheet metal?

Not mine, but 99% sure the ones pictured are the 38" glass fiber fender flares from Fjallasport here in Iceland, they also come in a smaller size for 33-35".
Glued or screwed onto the body.

38" LC100 Flares

Depending on who you ask. One of the Dobinsons vendors told me their lift numbers are over tired and sagged suspension :bang:

Wow. So in theory someone could get a 2 inch lift kit, but end up at a lower height than with the AHC in "H"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom