Quick Disconnect CB Antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to order a quick release CB antenna to mount on my Slee rear bumper/tire carrier---hoping to order it (online) today.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Simmons

Simmons,
I looked at doing the same thing but decided against spending the $$ because removal of the mast is so simple. I have a 1/2" - 9/16" combo wrench and a nut that fits down in the threads when the mast is removed. It is a 30 second process to install or remove. I keep the Hi-Lift in the garage for everyday driving and store the antenna mast in the handle. The nut keeps water and dirt out of the female side of the antenna cable and is removed when the mast is installed.

Simple, cheap, and quick.
-B-

Makes sense. Recommendations then on a good antenna (type as well)?

Yes, trying to. I don't want to be a thorn in anyone's side, and since I've had my eye on one anyway (Cobra 75WXST Weatherband CB all in handset model), thought now would be a good time to do it.

You think I would be okay without one this weekend? I do have 2-way radios.

I was looking around this weekend for one here in Flag. Not too much selection, so I may go without for this weekend. (Especially in light of having to put in a water pump sometime before Saturday.... :mad: )

CBs are nice to have on the trail, but only for line of sight transmissions. I think it would be helpful this weekend, but not absolutely necessary.

-H-

Thanks. Looks tough to get them shipped here before I head up on Friday (with time to install). Which Firestik are you using?

I'll bring my 2-way radios (just two of them, though) so we can at least keep in touch with each other!

4' firestick about $15, quick disconnect about $10, well worth the $10 for me, easy on and off for garages, etc.

Simmons,

Go visit a big truck stop in your area. The big ones often have loads of CB stuff as the truckers are CB's best customer. Park out back and don't dress too nice. You'll be fine....................Dan

Simmons,
I went with the 4' Firestick. The mount on the Slee rear bumper is already pretty high so the 4' gets the antenna well above the roof of the truck.

As Byron said, the quick connect would be nice if you plan to leave the antenna on all the time. I leave the coax under the rear mat and install the mast only when I plan to use the CB. The CB is a cheap "portable" version with a cig lighter plug.

Bought my antenna next door to the truck stop like C-Dan suggested. ;) They supplied the coax. I believe it was 18' but I know for sure that it was the "optimum" length because the guy with the screaming eagle tatoos that sold it to me made a big deal about having the correct length (quarter wave or some mumbo jumbo.) I wasn't about to ask questions or otherwise challenge their knowledge of CB. :D

-B-

Okay, overnight on the package for the antenna is too much anyway, so my gear will be delivered via ground:

* Cobra 75WXST Weatherband CB Radio (all in handset)
* Firestick II 4' antenna and mounting kit

I'm getting these all from Bill's CB and 2-Way Radio in Morgan Hill, CA. Website is http://www.bills2way.com/. They've got a lot of stuff, good prices, and so far good service (ordered over the phone, since their online order system seems a bit archaic).

That's quicker and easier than visiting a local truck stop, though perhaps not as much fun....

Chicken................ 8)

Ooh, tough crowd!

But, um, you may be right... :eek:

Simmons,

Well it's not too late. Install the radio and antenna then take it down to ol' Bubba and let him tune the SWR. They'll look down their noses at you when you tell them you don't want them to fiddle with the radio to do a "Super Tune" but don't worry about that. You only live once so sieze the moment.

:D
-B-

Just wear your dirtiest ball cap, buy a pack of Camels and some peanuts, and you'll be okay.

Looks like you've already got your radio, but the Uniden 510 or 520 using the Christo method, works excellent. Looks factory, and only takes a few minutes, or many minutes and a few :beer:!

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_uniden.htm

What length coax cable did you use on the install?

-H-

Funny that you should ask, apparently not long enough. :D I need to find a longer one, I'm about a foot short with the cable that came with the antennae, antenae, OMG I'm going crazy, however it is spelled. I mounted the firestick on the passenger side of the bull bar, then routed the cable throught the grille, through the battery tray (found a mouse nest under my battery) then along the fender to the fire wall, accross the firewall to the driver's side, then through the opening where I ran my Hella lights' wiring through. I mounted the CB via brackets, under the dash in front of the shifters.

I also painted the chrome black on my grille, I like it much better now! Amazing what can get done, when I get 1 day where it is nice out.

Tusconcruiser,
I'm about to call Bill's 2 way and order the same set up as you. Since the 18' of coax was too short how long would you recommend? FYI, I don't do truck stops either.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom