questions on hitch mount for winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've purchased my first cruiser (99 lx470) and I'm looking to take the family out to do the Georgia traverse in the next couple months. I have k02s on the truck but everything else is stock. I will be traveling alone and I though about maybe getting a hitch mount and winch so I have some method of self recovery. I plan on eventually getting a new bumper with winch but its not in the cards right now. Is there a reason I shouldn't get a hitch mount winch? is there a down side I'm not aware of? What size winch would you buy for the lx470?

Dowside to a hitch winch.
You need a front hitch.
They generally hamper approach and departure angles.
Lots ($$$) battery cable tu run to the rear.
Potentially not as strong/stable as a permanent mount.

Dowside to a hitch winch.
You need a front hitch.
They generally hamper approach and departure angles.
Lots ($$$) battery cable tu run to the rear.
Potentially not as strong/stable as a permanent mount.

man, duh I completely forgot about the run to the battery. I know the Georgia traverse isn't super technical, so I'm wondering if I could get away with something like max tracks and a come along?

If you really think you might need to pull yourself out of something I would recommend a couple of straps and a hi lift jack. They can be used as an impromptu winch and have much more pulling power than a come-along. Make sure you have a tree saver and a couple of shackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom