Questions from a new hdj81 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was a BJ60 owner and just bought a HDJ81.

Drove the cruiser home 3000 km to Vancouver Island from Yellowknife. I burnt 4 L of oil (Synthetic). It smoked the most after starting out in the mornings and decreased after a half hour. The person I bought it off of added an oil collect can between the valve cover vent and the air filter to stop white smoke. When I got it home I took off the air filter lid and looked in to the intake, it was wet with oil. I suspect oil is being sucked into the engine and burnt. Is this possible? I disconnected the hose and plugged the hole at the air filter. It still smoked a little white but when punched black came out.

I took the timing belt cover off and found the belt very loose on the top (the longest span opposite the tensioner). Could this also cause smoking?

The breather for the front diff has been leaking gear oil. The hose is intact and is a good 8 inches above axle.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have to say that mine does not appear to have the issues that you have brought up so cannot speak to them. Welcome to the HDJ81 fold nonetheless.

I'm going to tighten the belt today and see how it runs. I'm thinking that a loose belt would give me poor gas mileage and smoke. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

This oil consumption or leak is definitely outside the avg for the 1HD-T from all the numbers I've seen. I don't have exact figures because every driver and engine is different but when I did a round trip from Vancouver to Regina and back last year I hardly burnt any oil and that was driving a very, very long time at speeds up to and over 120 kph, through heavy snow and mountain passes. So without repeating the obvious it's clear something is off.

Hi W737 and welcome.

From what I have read ,your engine doesnt sound too good. The oil in the filter can be a sign of "blow by" which means the engine is worn.
By comparison ,I have 2 non turbo versions of this engine and neither use any oil between their 5000 klms service intervals
It also sounds as if there are other problems with fuel pump settings or injector maintenance .

The timing belt will tighten on one side as the engine begins to turn.
Does the spring on the idler pulley have some tension?
There are timing marks on the crank,fuel pump and cam pulleys that need to be in alignment.
If the belt was on the wrong tooth ,even by one ,you would have noticed serious problems at high speeds.
New owners are advised to change the timing belt unless you are 100% sure it has been done by the PO.

Does it start easily when cold? When it fires ,does it idle smoothly straight away?

There are free manuals online at the top of the forum in the stickys
IMO ,if you dont know ttoo much about these,it maybe a good time to consult someone who does .

Last edited:
Thanks Rosco

I figured the timing belt thing out. There is tension on the belt and it will operate when running.

The engine starts very good and idles great right away. Way better then my 3B. At 2°C the glow light is on for 2 sec before the start.

I took the hose from the air filter to the turbo off and found the inside wet with oil. I will drive the cruiser around tomorrow to see the results.

Where do you suspect the blow by is coming from? Valves, cracked head?

Thanks again.

Thanks Rosco

I figured the timing belt thing out. There is tension on the belt and it will operate when running.

The engine starts very good and idles great right away. Way better then my 3B. At 2°C the glow light is on for 2 sec before the start.

Thats good news

Where do you suspect the blow by is coming from? Valves, cracked head?

Thanks again.

I was thinking more like rings. The compression escapes past the rings and pressurises the block which causes oil to blow into the tube and end up in the air filter

Is it fuming badly from the dipstick hole.

I was hoping some of the turbo experts might chime in;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom