questions about a 1990 prado wagon FS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks to me to be a 2L-T, however I am not up on the later models...

There is going to be some interesting options and vehicles coming to Canada over the next 2 years or so from Japan...

Not sure if you would call it a LJ78 Prado or not...

When did the 2L-TE come into play?

Looks like an auto.

Should be coil sprung, solid axles, high pinion front...

The 50th Ann book even uses the different terms using "heavy" and "light" duty.

The Prado LJ71 would be the light duty version of the BJ71 iiuc.

hth's

gb

Greg_B said:
Not sure if you would call it a LJ78 Prado or not...

At least that's what the rear license plate lights box reads ;)

EDIT : or maybe it's a sticker somewhere or an emblem but it's there :doh: //

The 1st pic is a 2LTll, Im not sure if they are the same as the 2LTE and is from a 92 LJ78.
The 2nd pic is a 1KZTE in a 95 series
Birfiedl.com says the 1KZ was released in 1990 in the 70 series but the LJ78 kept the older 2LTll till 93.
I got a feeling this will be country specific

EllisonPrado6.jpg

2.jpg

roscoFJ73 said:
The 1st pic is a 2LTll, Im not sure if they are the same as the 2LTE and is from a 92 LJ78.

not all 2LTIIs are -E ;)

The 2nd pic is a 1KZTE in a 95 series
Birfiedl.com says the 1KZ was released in 1990 in the 70 series but the LJ78 kept the older 2LTll till 93.
I got a feeling this will be country specific
nice factory intercooler :D
I think saying the KZ was released in 1993/4 would be more correct though

2L-TE just like the first photo. it idled kind of rough to start, smoothed out, then started to idle rough again after 2 minutes. sounded like a miss. it drove just fine.

anyone know what kind of mileage these puppies get. I am seriousaly consdiering this thing instead of the wife's forester.

denis said:
At least that's what the rear license plate lights box reads ;)

EDIT : or maybe it's a sticker somewhere or an emblem but it's there :doh: //

Ahhh, good eye Denis :D

My sleep addled eyes missed that...

Now off to work for another nightshift again...

gb

semlin said:
2L-TE just like the first photo. it idled kind of rough to start, smoothed out, then started to idle rough again after 2 minutes. sounded like a miss. it drove just fine.

anyone know what kind of mileage these puppies get. I am seriousaly consdiering this thing instead of the wife's forester.

While this site is more Surf specific, it does have some information on the 2L-TE.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/index.php?

Head gaskets and cooling can be an issue with this family of engine. Once fixed supposed to be great.

gb

semlin said:

did it continue to run like that after it warmed up? that sounds like how my 3b runs and my TDI golf. its sounds like your explaining normal diesel sounds while cold.

The first pic you posted looks like a 3L valve cover not like the 2l-t I am used to seeing.

http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxengines.html this describes those engines pretty good.

Where do you source parts for these vehicles? Thats my only concern with the Prados, and other JDM imports starting to show up. I liked the idea of the HJ61 as parts are so darn readilly availably, but what about he Prados?

awesome links folks. thanks a lot.

This is a Prado ( 120 series ) that is the actually model that sell Toyota Dealer ..

lcr_02_gall_05_800.jpg

is a diesel with 1KZ-TE ( 130 HP ! ) or 3RZ-FE engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom