Question re steering knuckles... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...new user to site here...help appreciated. 1997 LC with 106K miles.

I understand that grease build up on the outside of the steering knuckles indicates failure of the inner axle seals. I had grease build up like this on old FJ40 and a FJ60 that I had for thirteen years without issue.

Is the rememdy the same thing as I read about on Birfield.com for repacking everything or replacement of axle seals. I have added grease regularly to knuckles over the years. There doesn't seem to be any problem currently.

Thank you.

grease on the outside of the knuckle is normal. It's when it's thinned by gear oil and running out that the seal has failed.

Unlike the older landcruisers which are parttime 4 wheel drive, the newer all wheel drive trucks need to have their knuckles rebuild periodically because they are in use all the time. The present mind set is every 60k.

Thank you very much for the information. I guess I'm due to rebuild the knuckles. Is there a link to proper procedure. Thanks. Dave

Dave,

Use the search feature here. Birfield repack is one of the most talked about maintenance items here on the 80 list.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom