Question on Wiring and tapping into ignition. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1000Taco0001

SILVER Star
Threads
I need an ignition source for a relay I am going to use for my secondary charging system. My Tacoma uses fuse relays I am not familiar with how they work (exactly, but i do understand the concept). Based on the Toyota diagram I know my INV and BATT/CHG fuses work on ignition. Anyone tapped into these before? If so what should I use to do tap into it?

Batt-Chg.png

Batt-chg-diagram.PNG

Last edited:
If all your using it for is the signal side of the relay, then I would probably come off a fuse with a fuse tap. I would most likely come off the ALT-S fuse that way it only triggers the new relay when the engine is running, effectively mimicking how the oem charging system works. I have said all this without looking at the EWD for your rig though:)

By secondary charging do you mean dual battery set up? Not tying to be a jerk, I’m just not familiar with that term. I know there are many charging options out there. I have a simple dual battery set up and used the add a fuse for trigger. I think I came off seat heater as any ‘on’ circuit will work to charge both while running and isolate while off. Pics in my build thread. If you are doing something different I’d be curious to learn more.

By secondary charging do you mean dual battery set up? Not tying to be a jerk, I’m just not familiar with that term. I know there are many charging options out there. I have a simple dual battery set up and used the add a fuse for trigger. I think I came off seat heater as any ‘on’ circuit will work to charge both while running and isolate while off. Pics in my build thread. If you are doing something different I’d be curious to learn more.
It’s fine, I’m not an electrical guy so I just try to read up on stuff as well as ask lots of questions before I pull the trigger. I’m likely using incorrect language for what I’m referring to as well.

To answer your question, Yes. Dual battery with a charger. I’m just looking for switched power so once the ignition is on it will switch the connection between solar and the two batteries to alternator. I am going to just start testing this coming weekend, until I find one. According to what I have found the Batt/Chg is switched with the ignition. I am just not sure the best way to come off of the denso relay/fuse. If some one has done it, I’d like to know how. If not, no biggie, there is likely another that will work with a simple add a fuse. I attached the diagram.

B478EA41-0231-4AFC-AE40-07698EA5766F.jpeg

Ok, got it. The solar is the second charging piece. I went with a simple manual hook up of my solar panel into my secondary fuse block and battery.
At this link, there is a ton of discussion in this thread. It starts out with simple dual battery set up then gets into things like you are planning with charge controller discussion, battery chemistry, and more. A long read but pretty informative.

It’s fine, I’m not an electrical guy so I just try to read up on stuff as well as ask lots of questions before I pull the trigger. I’m likely using incorrect language for what I’m referring to as well.

To answer your question, Yes. Dual battery with a charger. I’m just looking for switched power so once the ignition is on it will switch the connection between solar and the two batteries to alternator. I am going to just start testing this coming weekend, until I find one. According to what I have found the Batt/Chg is switched with the ignition. I am just not sure the best way to come off of the denso relay/fuse. If some one has done it, I’d like to know how. If not, no biggie, there is likely another that will work with a simple add a fuse. I attached the diagram.
The RedArc doesn't run @Batt voltage anyway. Recommend a dash switch carrying alt voltage (small current) to the BCDC kick-on wire or to the relay in your diagram and just turn it on whenever you want when the truck is running.
Also suggest separate wiring for all add-ons. OEM harnesses matter! lol

edit: 'at batt voltage'

The RedArc doesn't run @Batt voltage anyway. Recommend a dash switch carrying alt voltage (small current) to the BCDC kick-on wire or to the relay in your diagram and just turn it on whenever you want when the truck is running.
Also suggest separate wiring for all add-ons. OEM harnesses matter! lol

edit: 'at batt voltage'
Yea. So far I have run everything separate. This would be the first connection, if I use ignition. As it turned out though the only one was the inverter and batt fuses relays. So I just wired the panel to the extra battery. (No trickle charging right now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom