Question for new MI FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boynepark76

SILVER Star
Threads
Just got back to MI yesterday with a 71 FJ40 I found in FL while down there. I’m gonna do a frame up on it…. I’m so excited! It has a 350 in it with original 3-spd. I’m looking to see if anyone has a 4-spd? I’d like to put a 4-spd in it. Also, do I need a different bellhousing for the 4-spd vs. 3-spd w/ the 350. Plus, I’m assuming I’d need the 4-spd TC too?
D8FCEABC-F010-4905-A924-01124EF3E0D1.jpeg
DC0330BB-A43B-41C3-A227-BD77C13B57BB.jpeg

Just got back to MI yesterday with a 71 FJ40 I found in FL while down there. I’m gonna do a frame up on it…. I’m so excited! It has a 350 in it with original 3-spd. I’m looking to see if anyone has a 4-spd? I’d like to put a 4-spd in it. Also, do I need a different bellhousing for the 4-spd vs. 3-spd w/ the 350. Plus, I’m assuming I’d need the 4-spd TC too? View attachment 3260479View attachment 3260480
I meant to reply a while ago but I suspect by now you have found the crazy wealth of knowledge in the 40 series forum. I have a 4 speed from a 60 series but it has a different top plate (shifter location farther back).
Not sure that will help you.
Regardless, congrats on the 40 and hope it progresses well!

I meant to reply a while ago but I suspect by now you have found the crazy wealth of knowledge in the 40 series forum. I have a 4 speed from a 60 series but it has a different top plate (shifter location farther back).
Not sure that will help you.
Regardless, congrats on the 40 and hope it progresses well!
Thx for the info. It’s good to know. I came across two 4-spds and gonna pop the tops on both to see what kinda shape they’re in. Seems I do need a different bellhousing which I’ll order shortly. Just got the 350 rebuilt and almost have the frame ready for powder coat. Lots of fun!

Thx for the info. It’s good to know. I came across two 4-spds and gonna pop the tops on both to see what kinda shape they’re in. Seems I do need a different bellhousing which I’ll order shortly. Just got the 350 rebuilt and almost have the frame ready for powder coat. Lots of fun!
Awesome. I didn't know how much I liked a 350 in an FJ40 until we got Jessica's truck (Zippy). Hers is a '76 so has the factory 4 speed. It is a good combo.

Yes, you need either a Downey or AA conversion bellhousing and probably a propeller type rear crossmember when installing a sbc, stk 4speed. I run sbc's in my 40's and use AA stuff. When you install a 350 using a stk FJ40 trans snd t/case you move the driveline forward several inches to clear the valve covers and to allow for air flow around the engine. You'll have to alter the trans hump and shifter cane because the shift tower interferes with the heater. It's my understanding you can use the FJ60 shifter top plate and the tranny hump hole lines up better and you may not have to alter it. If you use the Marks adaptor i believe the driveline stays in its stk location. I'm not really familiar with the Marks stuff. Your conversion really depends on what you're going to do with the 40. You can use many different trans a tcase behind a sbc, but you may have to change things downstream. You might want to look into a 5 speed choices too. I have a nv4500 in one and really enjoy it. If I were starting over I would look at nv4500, split case conversion. You get a solid 5 speed and a stronger tcase. The tcase has a lot aftermarket gearing options too.

Last edited:
Yes, you need either a Downey or AA conversion bellhousing and probably a propeller type rear crossmember when installing a sbc, stk 4speed. I run sbc's in my 40's and use AA stuff. When you install a 350 using a stk FJ40 trans snd t/case you move the driveline forward several inches to clear the valve covers and to allow for air flow around the engine. You'll have to alter the trans hump and shifter cane because the shift tower interferes with the heater. It's my understanding you can use the FJ60 shifter top plate and the tranny hump hole lines up better and you may not have to alter it. If you use the Marks adaptor i believe the driveline stays in its stk location. I'm not really familiar with the Marks stuff. Your conversion really depends on what you're going to do with the 40. You can use many different trans a tcase behind a sbc, but you may have to change things downstream. You might want to look into a 5 speed choices too. I have a nv4500 in one and really enjoy it. If I were starting over I would look at nv4500, split case conversion. You get a solid 5 speed and a stronger tcase. The tcase has a lot aftermarket gearing options too.
Thnx for the info. Though dropping in 5-spd is tempting, I’m leaning toward the 4-spd since I have 2 now. Here’s a pic of the propeller crossmember and 3-spd bellhousing. I know I need a 4-spd bell-housing but do I need different propeller crossmember too? Thanks.

6B9017C1-E2F0-4D04-82CE-93EBDD755C6D.jpeg

638A62B1-4ABA-450A-AC5A-21EAB22E4B73.jpeg

I'm pretty sure the propeller member fits both tcases. You can check it out if your 4 speeds came with the tcase.
AA will sell their parts individually. You can put an ad in the classified section for a bellhousing. You can make gussets out of angle iron w/a little welding for the frame. @Downey is on this site and he sometimes has one of his kits available. He also offers installation instructions which would be helpful to locate the driveline in the frame. I would still keep an eye out for a nv4500. Doing a "frame up" will be expensive. I wouldn't powder the frame until all the mods to it are done. Personally, prefer paint. You might as well make it a driver. 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, & a 5 speed is nice.

The propeller bracket is the same for 3&4 speed early cases.

I have some homemade frame mounts from mine if you’d like them. I won’t need them.
Thx for the offer. I have the mounts and just need the sbc 4-spd bellhousing. I’m hoping the mount locations (for 4-spd) are the same but if not I’ll just move them. The tub is almost ready for sandblasting—I’m so excited!

Thx for the offer. I have the mounts and just need the sbc 4-spd bellhousing. I’m hoping the mount locations (for 4-spd) are the same but if not I’ll just move them. The tub is almost ready for sandblasting—I’m so excited!
Just wanted to put out an update on this rig. The frame up is coming along well: 1) rebuilt the 350, 2) dropped in 4-spd w/ split case from fj60 using AA bellhousing, 3) powder coated frame and added 2” lift kit, 4) stainless steel muffler that routes above the skid plate, 5) new quarters on tub along w/ other misc floor repairs, and 6) sandblasted & primed all other body parts. Just waiting on the hood and hardtop sides to come back from sandblaster. Here’s some pics.

IMG_9889.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

123_1.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

Dang! Nice work!!

What color is it going to be? Original color?

I'm surprised you ran the exhaust down the passenger side. That's a pretty tight fit. I hope you made allowances for the trans/tcase to be removed in the future without much of a hassle.

I'm surprised you ran the exhaust down the passenger side. That's a pretty tight fit. I hope you made allowances for the trans/tcase to be removed in the future without much of a hassle.
Yes. Here’s a pic… it is run above the case so the case/trans can be dropped. For heat issues there is insulation. However, after seeing the pic again, I’m gonna extend the insulation to protect the clutch slave. Thx and have a great day.

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

I've always run my slave on the drivers side. Either works. Looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom