Question for LX owners and TJM bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to get my truck back from the body shop after my deer strike. I plan to install the TJM bumper I purchased this weekend, and I'm wondering how many of you are running a bumper with the AHC still intact. I would like to stick a winch in there too, but I'm really worried about the AHC taking the extra weight. I purchased the cable to get Tech Stream up and running, and I plan to check my pressures after the bumper is installed and crank the torsion bars accordingly.

If the rear pressures need adjustment all I can do is add spacers right?

I'd like to get rid of the AHC some day, but right now it works so I'm going to keep it.

Do you really have to go get an alignment if you mess with the torsion bars?

If the rear pressures need adjustment all I can do is add spacers right?
Do you really have to go get an alignment if you mess with the torsion bars?
Spacers or new springs for the rear.
No. The torsion bars in the front of an AHC suspension only affect the preload. The hydraulic pistons determine ride height based on the reading from the sensors. Adjusting the preload of the torsion bars will change the pressures of the front pistons, but not the ride height. no alignment needed

I ordered and installed King Springs and it was an extremely easy job. Please give us an update on how your install goes and how much your pressures change. The TJM T-13 is one of the bumpers I'm considering. I'm also interested in how much (if any) cutting is needed and how wiring the turn signals goes.
Cheers,
Scot

I ordered and installed King Springs and it was an extremely easy job. Please give us an update on how your install goes and how much your pressures change. The TJM T-13 is one of the bumpers I'm considering. I'm also interested in how much (if any) cutting is needed and how wiring the turn signals goes.
Cheers,
Scot

I watched this video of the same bumper install on an LC, and he cut the ends of the frame off, but the instructions that came with the bumper don't show that. The instructions do show a hole needing to be drilled through the frame at some point, and they provide a jig for lining it up, but I didn't see that step in this video,,,,,,so I dunno

I watched the same video, but it looks like he didn't need to cut the frame. Maybe I'm just being optimistic.

I have T13 on a 2003 and I did not have to cut or drill anything. I just needed help lining up as it was heavy!

I have T13 on a 2003 and I did not have to cut or drill anything. I just needed help lining up as it was heavy!

do you still have the AHC?

Would you mind taking some pics of the connection points where it bolts to the frame? It seems like there are mixed comments on whether or not you have to cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I put on my 04 that I had AHC lifted and did nothing after putting it on.

It is probably the lightest steelish bumpers. It would protect a little better than OEM but if you hit anything your front fenders and lights are toast.

Looks good....

FWIW I just install the TJM T13 on my LX. Front accumulator pressure prior to instal was 7.1 and after install was 7.4 Two full rotations of the torsion bar bolt on each side brought my pressure to 6.9 up front. Rear are also right at the sweet spot, but I don't have the numbers handy.
Cheers,
Scot

Would you mind taking some pics of the connection points where it bolts to the frame? It seems like there are mixed comments on whether or not you have to cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I did the install back in 2017 and I did not take photos of the winch cradle, however I did not have to edit the frame horns at all.

Cheers,
Scot
Which king springs did you go with? Did you get any extra lift in the rear? Id like to upgrade my rear springs for towing a boat but do not want and additional rear height.

Which king springs did you go with? Did you get any extra lift in the rear? Id like to upgrade my rear springs for towing a boat but do not want and additional rear height.
I don’t recall which springs I went with, but I think there was only one option for the LX. They didn’t provide any lift because that it controlled by the height sensor. They did lower the globe pressures a reasonable amount which helps when towing with AHC.

King KTRS-79

I had a Dissent (steel) and 10K winch and the springs put the rear pressures right where they needed to be. When I added the BIOR rear bumper I needed to add 30mm spacers to keep pressures correct. None of this affects the ride height, strictly for fine tuning AHC pressures. I also performed the typical sensor lift raising the rig approx 1.5”. Zero issues with AHC all loaded down with RTT, fridge, etc and tackled MOAB, Silverton, etc. without compromise.

Building another one now and ordered these springs April 4 and they are expected to land on my porch Tuesday. Shipping from Australia has slowed down at this time so keep that in mind. Not aware of anywhere in the US that stocks them but might take a look.

King KTRS-79

I had a Dissent (steel) and 10K winch and the springs put the rear pressures right where they needed to be. When I added the BIOR rear bumper I needed to add 30mm spacers to keep pressures correct. None of this affects the ride height, strictly for fine tuning AHC pressures. I also performed the typical sensor lift raising the rig approx 1.5”. Zero issues with AHC all loaded down with RTT, fridge, etc and tackled MOAB, Silverton, etc. without compromise.

Building another one now and ordered these springs April 4 and they are expected to land on my porch Tuesday. Shipping from Australia has slowed down at this time so keep that in mind. Not aware of anywhere in the US that stocks them but might take a look.
Definitely let us know how they end up. Also curious if you had to use any special bracket to get 1.5 inches out of the front like the write up says you need? Or if you just adjust the sensor?

King KTRS-79

Did you replace the front torsion bars?

If so, with land cruiser OEM? Or ???

There is no need to swap torsion bars unless ditching AHC all together. Some have needed to re-index the stock bars if they run out of adjustment room. I have yet to run into that issue on any of my LX470 builds. As long as your globes are performing, the suspension can easily be adapted to higher loads and remain within proper pressure specs. The King rear springs rarely are necessary until you add weight to the rear or the roof. As you adjust the bars up front for proper pressures, the rear will need some attention but many have found just adding the 30mm spacers (80-series rear spacers) is enough to keep in spec. I do a fair amount of towing so even without a rear bumper or RTT on my current rig I am still installing the Kings, spacers and Airlift Bags (5psi normal driving and 20psi with trailers).

I do not raise the LX’s to the max level that some do thus no need to make a bracket for the rear. I max out the rear within the factory bracket and set the front a bit lower to maintain a slight rake. Also negates the need of a diff drop as it does not cause excessive deflection of the CVs. On my son’s old rig we did experiment with raising higher as many of the posts have detailed but we found no benefit for the type of wheeling we do now...overlanding for the most part but we did take it to “top of the world” at Moab and if you’ve gone up that trail you know there’s some areas that require some decent ground clearance. No problem.

A6C5633A-6033-449A-9D92-7F1C6DB77FFA.jpeg

There is no need to swap torsion bars unless ditching AHC all together. Some have needed to re-index the stock bars if they run out of adjustment room. I have yet to run into that issue on any of my LX470 builds. As long as your globes are performing, the suspension can easily be adapted to higher loads and remain within proper pressure specs. The King rear springs rarely are necessary until you add weight to the rear or the roof. As you adjust the bars up front for proper pressures, the rear will need some attention but many have found just adding the 30mm spacers (80-series rear spacers) is enough to keep in spec. I do a fair amount of towing so even without a rear bumper or RTT on my current rig I am still installing the Kings, spacers and Airlift Bags (5psi normal driving and 20psi with trailers).

I do not raise the LX’s to the max level that some do thus no need to make a bracket for the rear. I max out the rear within the factory bracket and set the front a bit lower to maintain a slight rake. Also negates the need of a diff drop as it does not cause excessive deflection of the CVs. On my son’s old rig we did experiment with raising higher as many of the posts have detailed but we found no benefit for the type of wheeling we do now...overlanding for the most part but we did take it to “top of the world” at Moab and if you’ve gone up that trail you know there’s some areas that require some decent ground clearance. No problem.

View attachment 2294740
Really appreciate the feedback.

Good to hear the AHC t bars can be adjusted enough to get pressures back in spec with a bumper & winch

have a build thread for the new Lx?

I have my LX setup very similar to milemarker60. I have Kings in the rear (no spacers or airbags) and have adjusted the sensors just like his LX. I have a TJM T17 front bumper with 10k winch and a Coastal Offroad steel rear bumper with tire swing out, and Slee sliders. All my AHC pressures are in spec and I have stock torsion bars. I would get Techstream working before the bumper goes on and then adjust the torsion bars after install. I always got an alignment after messing with front suspension height.

BED79488-3572-44CA-84C3-9B5172BBDB25.jpeg

View attachment 2294740

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom