Question about Secondary Air Pump fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, so I'm about to attempt the dreaded secondary air pump fix. Let me give you guys some background and brief history on what I've done up to now...

I have a 2007 GX470, non sport/KDSS

About 1 year ago, I got the dreaded CEL codes regarding the secondary air pump system and my truck went into limp mode. I had a total of 4 codes at the beginning. After reading, I opted to do the Hewitt bypass fix, however this only fix 2 of the codes. I still had a codes for secondary air relay circuit (can't remember exactly). Reading more pointed me to replace the air pump under the intake manifold with the Dorman (part 306-010) air pump recommended by people. I didn't have time for that kind of job and just needed to pass smog so I left it alone until now.

After going over a few guides to prep for the job now, I noticed a person had taken extra steps to replace the left and right air pump check valve and other hoses as well. In my initial research, I was told I needed only to replace the air pump itself. My question is because I have the hewitt bypass installed, wouldn't that just bypass(lol) the entire system anyways? All I need is for the computer to read that my replacement air pump is working, but the system itself will never take effect (open or close) since the valves are permanently blocked off.

Any help or opinions would be great. I really wouldn't want to remove all those parts twice lol. Thanks for all the future help!

I'm a little confused, you have the Hewitt bypass kit installed already correct? If this was installed correctly you should not have to replace the air pump due to the fact that it will never be activated. Clear the remaining SAIS codes and they should not return since the system will never turn on again.

I'm a little confused, you have the Hewitt bypass kit installed already correct? If this was installed correctly you should not have to replace the air pump due to the fact that it will never be activated. Clear the remaining SAIS codes and they should not return since the system will never turn on again.

Sorry for the late response here.... In a nutshell, you are correct 100%. I think I may have figured out what my problem is. I have the Rutech Bypass kit instead of Hewitt and the main diff here is Rutech does not have a relay for ignition. So in certain vehicles, if you put the key in the ON position but do not start the car the codes can still pop back up(my case). I tested this with a scanner. As long as I started the car in one full motion, I never got the code again. As soon as I turned the key to the ON position w/o starting the car the codes immediately came back. So now I just need the ignition relay and not have to change the pump, PHEW!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom