Question about rear wing/spoiler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the rear wing - I am in the market for a 100 series and I really like how the wing in the top picture looks, however almost all LCs available use the wing in shown in the bottom picture. Are these wings compatible/interchangeable? If so, where can I purchase the wing in the top picture and what is the difficulty for installation?

wing_top.PNG

wing_bot3.PNG

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any insight you may have.

Bump. I've discovered some people call these "whale tail" style, I'm still not sure if they can be swapped. If they can, does anyone know where I can purchase one?

Best guess will be a replica/clone from eBay, or keep checking on 100s being parted out in the classifieds here.

Seems like people are always looking for your old-style spoiler, so if you find something you like you should be able to recoup some of the cost by selling yours here.

Top picture OEM, bottom picture spoiler from eBay. You can swap it no problem.

Bottom is after market, really? I didn't think that because 90% of all the 100's I've look at have that style. Do you happen to know where I could find the top one?

Bottom is after market, really? I didn't think that because 90% of all the 100's I've look at have that style. Do you happen to know where I could find the top one?

I don't think what he said was accurate. My understanding is they were all added at port and none of the spoilers are technically "OEM." The smaller black one is actually highly desirable around here. The "Whale Tail" came in the later years. I vaguely remember reading a discussion about swapping one for the other, and the mounting points are not the same. It's not a plug and play swap if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm not sure you should let the wing style make or break your purchase if you find a nice cruiser.

I recently bought a whale tail for my 2004 LX through Car Id but it came from WingTech spoilers (wtspoilers.com.) I would not recommend going through Car Id. Go directly to Wing Tech if possilble. I am now waiting for a good day to get it installed.

I must say, this has been a tricky ordeal. First it has been difficult to find a nonOEM whale tail spoiler that looked like the $600 OEM spoiler with the light. I finally decided to try the one from Wing Tech for $306 with light and painted to code specs. This spoiler is extremely close in shape and size to OEM (like my 2006 LX) but it is not oem and does not install and fasten to lift gate the same way. That was the second tricky issue. The first auto place I talked to really was not comfortable at all installing it. The next guy I talked with is an auto body and collision guy. He seems very comfortable on how to install it after we had a good conversation about it. He was also highly recommended.

Hopefully I will see if everything comes to fruition satisfactorily this week.....and doesn't come off in the first carwash. The wing tech guy actually answered the phone when I called him and he swears it will not come off in a carwash. I will post back with my whale tail installation assessment.

I recently bought a whale tail for my 2004 LX through Car Id but it came from WingTech spoilers (wtspoilers.com.) I would not recommend going through Car Id. Go directly to Wing Tech if possilble. I am now waiting for a good day to get it installed.

I must say, this has been a tricky ordeal. First it has been difficult to find a nonOEM whale tail spoiler that looked like the $600 OEM spoiler with the light. I finally decided to try the one from Wing Tech for $306 with light and painted to code specs. This spoiler is extremely close in shape and size to OEM (like my 2006 LX) but it is not oem and does not install and fasten to lift gate the same way. That was the second tricky issue. The first auto place I talked to really was not comfortable at all installing it. The next guy I talked with is an auto body and collision guy. He seems very comfortable on how to install it after we had a good conversation about it. He was also highly recommended.

Hopefully I will see if everything comes to fruition satisfactorily this week.....and doesn't come off in the first carwash. The wing tech guy actually answered the phone when I called him and he swears it will not come off in a carwash. I will post back with my whale tail installation assessment.

Awesome - thanks for the info! Good luck, excited to see how it turns out for you.

Got the spoiler installed. Very pleased. Very difficult to tell it is not from factory.

B2484043-D97C-491B-BBE1-9FAF722A76E3.jpeg
98E9174C-6373-4FEA-AD5D-04E1278A21A2.jpeg
42993D25-D06D-4354-9AFC-E0ECA781C2BA.jpeg

did you disconnect the 3rd brake light on the hatch?

very nice! any info on how it was attached and if it re-uses the oem mounting holes in the upper lid already?

Unlike the Lexus OEM spoiler, this one had three sheet metal screws and a foam seal gasket. The body shop owner installed it and had to drill access holes for two screws on each side and used the existing access hole for the third screw. One screw he was able to cover with a plug. Then put paint on the exposed metal. I went to three or four different businesses to decide who could install it. I felt like only one seemed comfortable doing it. I think a good auto body shop is the best choice.

The guy I used said he has installed a lot of spoilers including OEM and that this one was in fact a good product. He said it was good thick fiberglass unlike a lot he has seen. He grabbed it and pulled on it saying this isn’t going anywhere.

did you disconnect the 3rd brake light on the hatch?

I did disconnect the existing brake light. Didn’t have to however. I could’ve has both beamin but didn’t.

I am pleasantly surprised that it is so close to OEM. Other than the attachment method and the light is an inch or so shorter than the hatch light, this whale tail is very difficult I’ll to tell it isn’t OEM.

It cost me $306 plus $100.80 to install.

50B4F96A-F2EE-43C9-B070-6DF6FDEF57DB.jpeg
74375804-C548-48EE-B7A6-F7923AF81D56.jpeg

You have that backwards sir.. top one is oem or aftermarket ebay... if car had nothing many will buy a cheap ebay clone for 150 but it doesn't look as nice as oem. Looks pretty nice if its OEM..

bottom one is oem only port installed, and is a classic look.

Didn't the brake light on your hatch give it away?

The spoiler....the spoiler is extremely close to OEM. If I had a blank to replace the hatch light then we would been on the same page.

FWIW those of us with the port-installed whale tail still have the light on the hatch.

Question: Are the basic wing (non-whale-tail-type) interchangeable from year to you in the 100 series? My 2006 lost an argument and I'd like to replace it but want to make sure any 1998-2007 of the same style will fit. Thanks

You had a light still installed on the hatch? Mine has a blanking plate.

Yep. Had to get around it when it leaked as they all do. Whomever installed the whale tail just cut those power wires to splice in the tail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom