question about broken birfield on a trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm trying to picture this in my mind. Are you saying that you can remove a birf without getting the cone washers out?

When you remove a birfield, you're removing that side's shaft as well, right? If not, what prevents the axle from slipping outboard/inboard and pounding on the spinning diff?

I know there are several write ups about birfield repack/rebuild in a garage/shop setting. If I were to put everything needed to field replace a birfield in a toolbox, what would that toolbox contain?

Those who have done this field repair; do you haul around a gallon of gear oil and a keg of birf grease? Or do you leave whatever is packed in the housing in place and put the packed birfield in and let them mix counting on pulling it apart again in the shop?

I'm running Longfields and chromolly shafts. Should I still carry a spare birfield? Axles? At some point the spare parts & tools & fluids list/weight starts becoming substantial. Does it become overkill at some point?

Thanks!

I know there are several write ups about birfield repack/rebuild in a garage/shop setting. If I were to put everything needed to field replace a birfield in a toolbox, what would that toolbox contain?

On the shortbus we have limited space. I have everything to do any axle repair in a toolbox that is about 14"x8"x8". One of those little ones you can buy at Home Depot. If you really sit down and be selective in the tools you take, you do not need much.

Those who have done this field repair; do you haul around a gallon of gear oil and a keg of birf grease? Or do you leave whatever is packed in the housing in place and put the packed birfield in and let them mix counting on pulling it apart again in the shop?

Normally a tub of grease, a can of brake clean, lots of paper rags and plastic trash bags. Couple of quarts of gear oil, but I have never had to change gear-oil on the trail. On a street Truck I would figure I need to redo at the shop, on a trail truck, just clean out as good as you can, and run it.

I'm running Longfields and chromolly shafts. Should I still carry a spare birfield? Axles? At some point the spare parts & tools & fluids list/weight starts becoming substantial. Does it become overkill at some point?

Thanks!

Yes, it could, but it also depends on where and with whom you wheel. Most placed we took the ShortBus, you fix it where it breaks, otherwise you do not get it out. Or like in Moab, if you are 1/2 way into Golden Spike, you really do not want to run it in 3 wheeldrive if you don't have to.

I'd love the list of parts you have in that tool box so I can be prepared.

If you haven't dug into the front end of your rig, you should DEFINITELY do so and be familiar with how to pull it all apart and put it back together. You will get progressively faster at it the more you do it (as with most things in life). If you are running your truck hard enough, to where you are concerned of front end carnage carry a second set and know how to change it, or the FSM page number to reference:D

Buy a spare, carry all the lubes and you won't break one.

yeah i guess i'll have to think about the tools i would need, i should have brought that brass drift with me, now i'll have to buy another one.
I have done the front repack, i dont know that i could seperate the birf from the axle, or i suppose i could just take the whole birf and that side of the axle out huh?

Let's see:

Tools:
BFH
10mm socket
12mm socket
14mm socket
17mm socket
3/8" ratchet
flat tip screwdriver
C-clip pliers
54mm hub socket (these are 1/2" drive, so also either a 3/8" adapter or 1/2" ratchet)

Parts:
replacement birf
towels
latex gloves (I'm a sissy)
tube of grease (or pregrease the birf and leave it in a ziploc)
small, wide ziptie (cinch down axle c-clip and tap into new birf)
plastic bag for bits of broken birf, greasy rags, etc.

Thanks!

The concern I know I lot of the mini guys have now that they've got bulletproof birfs and axles is that the damage will go somewhere, and the next place in the chain is the 3rd member. :frown:

I agree w/ Christo.

I've broken them in Moab, in Steamboat, GWNF, Tellico, and Dayton.

If you "practice" and memorize the torque settings, it should take 45mins MAX.

Air tools/power tank will make it MUCH faster.

Cone washers might be your only slow spot.

I carry spares as well as a lot of rags, gloves, and brake cleaner to clean out the housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom