Question about breaking a bead need advice or suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The spare tire under the 93 4runner I've been driving doesn't hold air. It's the original (31") Firestone on a steel wheel. When I put air into it it bubbles out between the tire bead and wheel rim. I'd like to think if I break the bead(s) I could clean the tire bead and the wheel lip and seal this baby up. I've seen beads off on the trail but I've never broken one on purpose. I thought of just laying the tire/wheel on the ground and driving over the tire trying to break it off the wheel rim. Is this a good idea or is there a better way for an old guy like me?????

You need to break the bead so you can remove the (likely) dirt and rust out that is between the rim and the tire. I suggest you lay the tire on the ground, perhaps on a piece of plywood so the rim does not get scratched if it is on pavement, and put one end of a 2 by 6 board just against where the tire meets the rim, right at that meeting point. The board should be about 3 feet long. Then take another vehicle, jack it up enough so that vehicle's tire is far enough off the ground to allow the rim/tire and 2 by 6, positioned correctly, to slip under this raised tire, at about the mid position of the wood. Then let the raised tire come down in a slow controlled manner, watching that nothing slips. Check the entire bead area of the tire for smoothness. Then use sandpaper to de-rust and smooth the rim's bead area, and paint first with self etching primer followed by a color of your choice, a brush will work for this. Good luck.

Well thanks to everyone who came forth with a suggestion. I dug out one if my dusty hi lift jacks (they stand in a remote corner of my garage and never get used) and used it under my 40 to break the beads on the spare. Actually was pretty easy and simple. Cleaned the two beads of the tire and wire brushed both rims on the wheel. Used a ratchet strap to get the beads seated and inflated the tire to 45 PSI. No leaks! Dropped the pressure back down to 35PSI and it's hanging once again under the 4runner. Thanks again for all the help!!!!!

Yeah, I know. When CMCC was canceled we ended up making plans with family so could not make it.

I do keep my eyes on this forum, so maybe another time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom