Pushrod question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've heard it's good to keep pushrods in their respective order when you remove them but is it really necessary with a 2F? I don't know much about engines but looking at a breakdown drawing looks like the push rods ride on the lifters which ride on the cam so does it really matter if you reassemble with the pushrod in the same hole?

GreenFJ40 said: I've heard it's good to keep pushrods in their respective order when you remove them but is it really necessary with a 2F?
You should keep them in order. Same with the lifters in relation to the pushrods and to the cam. Your engine will probably not self destruct or implode if you don't keep them in order. But the parts wear together based on their unique contact patterns with each other. If you interchange them, then the contact points no longer align. Natch, the parts get lonely, and the end result is that your engine can become quite sad.

I agree with Shawn, but all it will mean is that until the unfamiliar parts "become acquainted", you will have to adjust the valves more frequently.

GL

Ed

Thanks for your replies! I'm not questioning you, I just don't understand and trying to learn. It looks like (and I may be off here) that the lifters meet the cam and have a rotational intersection so I understand why you would want them to match, but don't the lifters go straight up and down? Is there any friction between the lifters and pushrods to require them to have "mating" surfaces?

GreenFJ40 asked: Is there any friction between the lifters and pushrods to require them to have "mating" surfaces?
I think your instinct--that lifter-pushrod contact is less critical than the cam-lifter interface--is correct. But also remember that there's another wear point at the top of the pushrod where it applies force to the rocker arm. That one's important too. It's sort of a ball and socket shaped like the joint between your pelvis and femur. It has to be shaped that way (absent a bearing or something similar) so that the rocker can rock without wearing off the top of the pushrod.

But in direct answer to your question, any time 2 parts contact and work against each other, they "get acquainted" with each other in a unique way. But Ed's right, the result should be just a little increased wear until everything settles in again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom