Pull... crack! Bang!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I was trying to pull a bogged HDJ80 out of the mud. Another person fastened the snatch strap, and didn't notice that the 80's hook was damaged. So I tore the hook off, and the D-shackle hit my tailgate. Here's the result:

segur24cs9.jpg

segur25qp0.jpg

The upper impact hit really hard. If it had been 10 cm higher, the shackle would have shattered the rear window and flown through it.
Lessons learned:

1. Always check personally that straps, hooks etc are in good shape before trying to pull.
2. Whenever possible, let the others try and get *their* stuff broken :rolleyes:

3. I'm starting to H8MUD... well, not really :D

Last edited:
sorry to read this.
Glad you are OK, could have been worse.
Was this a real hook or the US-type OEM loop?

oh, and wear this proudly as your Mudder badge of honor!

(does this mean anything about the superiority of the 100 vs 80...? :D )

Well, mine is the OEM open hook; it withstood perfectly:). The 80's was (I think) a closed loop hook, but I'm not sure since it was under the mud surface. From the explanaitions afterwards, I think it was already bent or something.

Needless to say, the 80's owner immediately insisted in paying for the repair.

(and... yes :D:D)

That's killed people before. Hook flying through rear window and hitting driver or passengers in the head. I'm glad you are ok. If someone's pretty stuck, I usually throw something over the strap (some use a blanket) to keep it from flying if anything lets loose. I think ARB makes a dedicated article for this purpose on winch lines. Same difference for tow straps. Might want to check it out..... Sorry about your Cruiser too... that hurts!

That's killed people before. Hook flying through rear window and hitting driver or passengers in the head. I'm glad you are ok. If someone's pretty stuck, I usually throw something over the strap (some use a blanket) to keep it from flying if anything lets loose. I think ARB makes a dedicated article for this purpose on winch lines. Same difference for tow straps. Might want to check it out..... Sorry about your Cruiser too... that hurts!

LandCruiser4Life is absolutely right.

Glad you are okay.

Yes, Dandon, it's nice your alright and just some bent sheetmetal. I always carry an old blanket for hanging over the strap for this. It deadens the line and keeps it down close to the ground.

One of these days I'm gonna make one of these "Winch Weight" things I keep dreaming up in my mind.

Think two small sand bags or pouch's, like a Crown Royal bag.

Attach the two by tying them together but the string is long enough to simply wrap around the strap, chain or cable being used to pull. Just walk up, throw it over it and wrap it around it, double if you want. It's not the end-all-be-all of winch weights but it'll be cheap, something you can make yourself and it'll be better than nothing. :cheers:

and glad your OK :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Sorry about the truck, but good to hear there were no injuries!

That's called a love tap here in NYC. :D

I got about a dozen of those from parking in the city... :p

Edit: Not from winching. Glad to hear everyone is ok. I meant just wear and tear... :eek:

Hi, thanks to all for the advice.
We usually put a weight over the winch line when winching (a tow strap wrapped around it, in most cases), but I've never used it over the tow/snatch strap. Obviously, I will be doing it from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom