PTO Winch drive shaft configuration for a 69 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this winch, pto and drive shafts. Not sure how this all goes together. One gear case mount is broken, output worm gear shaft yoke is welded. Brgs and seals need to be replaced on worm gear shaft.
Paid $500 then opened it all up. Ops!

But besides all this how does the drive shaft go together? Looks like I'm missing one piece.

Thanks for looking!
FJ40 PTO Winch_001.jpg
FJ40 PTO Winch_002.jpg
FJ40 PTO Winch_003.jpg
FJ40 PTO Winch_004.jpg

Looks like the only piece missing on the driveshaft is the flange/U joint/splined collar piece that goes on the end of the of the driveshaft and bolts to the PTO. Towards the bottom of this page from SOR's site it shows it. https://www.sor.com/cat071.sor Believe this is the one from the classified section. If so it appeared to be missing the shift linkage that goes thru the floor along with the knob and lock to keep it in neutral when not in use. You can still buy knobs new but not correct for 69 but the newer style. Did you get the two angle pieces as well as the second wedge?

Here is my junk. As I understand it, a 1969 Fj40 would be configured the same. In the first photo, the top shaft was pulled from a 1973 FJ40, the middle one from a 1972 FJ40 and the bottom one, which is 3-inches longer than the other two, is from . . . ? The additional photos simply show that they all attach in the same way---splined end of shaft slides into the yoke, while the welded end of the shaft attaches to a u-joint which bolts to the pillow block housing. Does that answer your question?

IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG

Yes I have the angle and wedge pieces. I wasn't sure about the which way the driveshaft goes. Thanks.

Here is my junk. As I understand it, a 1969 Fj40 would be configured the same. In the first photo, the top shaft was pulled from a 1973 FJ40, the middle one from a 1972 FJ40 and the bottom one, which is 3-inches longer than the other two, is from . . . ? The additional photos simply show that they all attach in the same way---splined end of shaft slides into the yoke, while the welded end of the shaft attaches to a u-joint which bolts to the pillow block housing. Does that answer your question?

View attachment 1096313 View attachment 1096314 View attachment 1096315 View attachment 1096316 View attachment 1096317
Awesome! Yes I understand. Looks like I have everything but the piece that the shaft slips into and then bolts to the PTO. Got one for sale?

Last edited:
Here's my line up according to Old Red.
20150621_165908.jpg
20150621_165922.jpg
20150621_170012.jpg
View attachment 1096328
Looks like the only piece missing on the driveshaft is the flange/U joint/splined collar piece that goes on the end of the of the driveshaft and bolts to the PTO. Towards the bottom of this page from SOR's site it shows it. https://www.sor.com/cat071.sor Believe this is the one from the classified section. If so it appeared to be missing the shift linkage that goes thru the floor along with the knob and lock to keep it in neutral when not in use. You can still buy knobs new but not correct for 69 but the newer style. Did you get the two angle pieces as well as the second wedge?

Is this the correct part number: 071-72AO
I'm not sure if this is the drive shaft side slip yoke flange.

20150621_165958.jpg
Looks like I'll have a machinist put this on a lathe to remove it from the worm gear shaft. This worm gear does not look to be useable. I believe when someone welded the yoke to it the ground cable was not placed correctly. What would a used input worm gear and shaft sale for?

Last edited:

View attachment 1096313 View attachment 1096314 View attachment 1096315 View attachment 1096316 View attachment 1096317
What is the overall shaft length for your two shorter shafts?
Hopefully my 44.5" shaft is the same.
Bob

all 3 speed ptos are the same from 64 up to when they went to the 4 speed then the only difference was the length of the drive shaft .when you get to the split case then another change.to interchange all you have to do is modify the drive shaft unless you have a late model split case then it wont work

all 3 speed ptos are the same from 64 up to when they went to the 4 speed then the only difference was the length of the drive shaft .when you get to the split case then another change.to interchange all you have to do is modify the drive shaft unless you have a late model split case then it wont work
That's good information to know.
Anybody have the length for the 64 & up 3 speed PTO shaft length?

They also changed the length of the collar that fits on the splines of the shaft from the pillow block bearing sometime in the seventies. Probably a quarter of the size of the early ones. The long spline that went thru a boxes section of front frame member was a poor design. The shaft and collar rust together. Guessing the reason this winch when it was for sale had the showed a picture with the section of the frame cut up. A winch I traded for the PO destroyed the housing on the pillow block bearing getting it out. I have a FJ25 parked I need to work on getting it apart without destroying anything. For this reason I would do one of two things. Would either cut down the collar before installing it or be sure to grease the splines up and check every once in a while they aren't starting to rust up.

That's good information to know.
Anybody have the length for the 64 & up 3 speed PTO shaft length?

Checked a couple of drivelines. One is from a 65 FJ45LV the other was a early 74 with a three speed. Both measure 42" from the end of the spline to the weld for the U joint scetion.

They also changed the length of the collar that fits on the splines of the shaft from the pillow block bearing sometime in the seventies. Probably a quarter of the size of the early ones. The long spline that went thru a boxes section of front frame member was a poor design. The shaft and collar rust together. Guessing the reason this winch when it was for sale had the showed a picture with the section of the frame cut up. A winch I traded for the PO destroyed the housing on the pillow block bearing getting it out. I have a FJ25 parked I need to work on getting it apart without destroying anything. For this reason I would do one of two things. Would either cut down the collar before installing it or be sure to grease the splines up and check every once in a while they aren't starting to rust up.

Checked a couple of drivelines. One is from a 65 FJ45LV the other was a early 74 with a three speed. Both measure 42" from the end of the spline to the weld for the U joint scetion.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Sweet! Looks like I have the correct driveshaft using your measurements.

good info i didnt know ,i have interchanged these ptos as stated with no mods other than making the d shaft longer on a 4 speed 1 or 2 .good luck

good info i didnt know ,i have interchanged these ptos as stated with no mods other than making the d shaft longer on a 4 speed 1 or 2 .good luck

Not sure it's good information to know other than greasing the splines. I am curious why they made the spline section so long when the section on the driveshaft back by the PTO was always short. With the shear pin being the weakest link that shorter collar is still not going to fail anyway as soon as the shear pin. When you weld that collar with shear it becomes a different matter. But would still rather have that splined collar fail sooner than anything in the winch or PTO.

From mid 63 to 1/79 any PTO winch setup that was removed from a FJ40 from that time period could be used on other FJ40 from that same time period. Switching from a three to four speed or vise versa two pieces needed to be changed or modified. Driveshaft and shift linkage piece between floor lever and PTO. While the PTO and winch themselves were the same the driveline changed to closer match the setup used in the FJ55. This threw my off as my early 79 as the left radiator mount has the ears to mount the pillow block bearing it's to far to the right to line up with the hole. Until I was able to find the correct driveshaft setup I had just planned to mount a second radiator mount to line up with the hole. Not sure how well that would have worked because the hole in the front frame member are offset to match the angle the shaft goes throw being mounted to the side frame rail.

I thought about installing the rear driveshaft, just not sure what I would power with it.:meh: Never had one of Toyota's rear mounted PTOs but if the gear ratio is the same as the transmission with a centered diff axle from a early Land Cruiser mounted into a 1/4 ton trailer you could have a six wheel drive like a old Willys jeep setup.:hmm:

You actually have a complete rear PTO drive shaft setup? I would set it up to run some kind of compressor or maybe this limb removing device...:D
early_jp_brochure-1-5-md.jpg

Toyota10_100.jpg

Last edited:
No I don't have the rear driveshaft setup but finding some heavy duty pillow block bearings with that standard mount should be that hard to find. It the mount on the front pillow block bearing that's difficult to find. It would just require enough PTO driveshaft parts. I have stuff around but in the end it would be a novelty that would never get used. I see no reason I would need a compressor anywhere I didn't have power. Taking the chain saw to the log is easier then lifting the log to a blade mounted and a table. It's also safer.

Interesting mounting of the tail lights on that FJ25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom