PTO or Electric? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

personally i hate pto winches , i think electrics are better .

1. your vehicle doesn't need to be running .
2. you don't have to be in your vehicle to use them
3. no pto shaft to deal with .
4. you can buy a pretty dam big electric winch that will pull you out of anything if you got the coin .

the good thing about a pto winch is they are more reliable .even though i have only had one electric winch fail me and it was because some one tugged on it and bent the worm shaft , some how the motor burned out simultaneously .

another plus to a pto is that your not going to overheat the electric motor on it because it doesn't have one .

i had a pto winch in a old ford pick up , it had plenty of power but i just hated having to be in the cab to use it .

Thanks vtcruiser60, I actually did do a few of searches but got a bit overwhelmed with the amount of irrelevant (to my question) postings on the subject of winches, PTO or otherwise.
But yeah, that link you gave is just what I was after.

No problem....and as for votes...I like my PTO winch....for both utility and aesthetic reasons.

I have to put a small vote in on the electric because of the reasons mentioned above even though i am doing everything in my power to reinstall my PTO after the build...... The problem is depending on your set up is if you still have clearance to snake the driveshaft through to the front! PTO is just cool to me because you can pull all day long....... In years of wheeling I seldom had to pull myself on long long pulls though and only had to when someone made a very very big oops such as off the road

The link given is a good one and should help you out with a bit more facts rather than my opinions

i have a pto on the front of my 70 40 and a 10,000 lb electric on the back .i like them both depends on what situation your in.i use the pto the most usually after everyones batteries are run down.its nice to have 2 people with the pto.i also have a boom for the front of my 40 and use it to pull motors and move stuff around winch is now 39 years old and still works fine.i also have a warn 8724 on my car trailer and that thing either pulls it on the trailer or breaks it in half good luck

I have used both Toyota PTO and electric winches quite a bit and I have seen the pros and cons of both. Both types of winch have great merit in their own right.

IMHO

PTOs: Are gold for duty recovery vehicles. PTOs can work for self recovery as well.

Electric: Best suited for self recovery. Electric winches can also be useful for duty recovery in most situations.

I prefer my electric winch for general use and self recovery. However, there are those occassions that only a PTO will be up to the task at hand.

:beer:

(1) I saw a PTO winch pull out a stuck vehicle when two Electric's together could not get the Job done.
(2) I've had my own vehicle stuck twice, engine not running, and my Electric got me out. In that regard, I think a PTO winch is useless!!!
YOUR CALL!!!!!!!!!

Mount the PTO on the front. Get the warn cradle set-up that mounts in a receiver hitch, along with two power cables. Mount receiver hitches front & rear.

Sometimes when you get stuck, someone is trying to tell you to stop going that direction! Better yet, it's gratifying pulling jeeps out of holes when they're trying to follow you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom