Proper Way To Install Shocks ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The van (2007 Express AWD) has been riding a little floaty lately, and there is an occasional rattle at the front.

So during an oil change a week ago I poked around at the front suspension and found this.

20181028_141102.jpg

It's the same on both sides.

I installed these last year and I thought I had them tight enough.

I think the Titus Canyon east approach road did them in, but I can't be sure when I noticed the floatyness.

So I put new bushing on and tightened the nuts down about 3/4". Until the bushings were snug with a very slight bulge.

There is no lock washer on (shocks didn't come with any) them and I did not use any lock tight.
That's what I did the first time I installed them.

Is this going to happen again?
Am I missing something?
Anyone ever seen this before?

I got a 3000 mile road trip coming up and I'll be watching them, but I expect I'll be getting rapid bushing wear due to the holes in the shock mounts being reamed out from the shock stems floating in them for a number of miles.

Over the years I've installed a lot of shocks and never had this problem.

There is no lock washer on (shocks didn't come with any) them and I did not use any lock tight.
That's what I did the first time I installed them.

Is this going to happen again?
Am I missing something?
Anyone ever seen this before?

usually if there s not a lock washer or lock nut, something like a nylock nut, you would have to double nut the shock top. that's how my kybs are with the double nut on the top.

The shock boot has separated / torn in the middle on both rear shocks. Is there an easy way to replace this without having to take the entire suspension apart (which seems like a lot of work).

short answer without seeing it, no at a minimum youll need to unbolt the shock top to be able to remove the boot. if its a small tear I wouldn't worry about it and just leave it be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom