Proper Way To Install Shocks ??

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by 45Kevin, Nov 11, 2018.

1. 45Kevin

45Kevin

The van (2007 Express AWD) has been riding a little floaty lately, and there is an occasional rattle at the front.

So during an oil change a week ago I poked around at the front suspension and found this.

20181028_141102.jpg

It's the same on both sides.

I installed these last year and I thought I had them tight enough.

I think the Titus Canyon east approach road did them in, but I can't be sure when I noticed the floatyness.

So I put new bushing on and tightened the nuts down about 3/4". Until the bushings were snug with a very slight bulge.

There is no lock washer on (shocks didn't come with any) them and I did not use any lock tight.
    That's what I did the first time I installed them.

Is this going to happen again?
    Am I missing something?
    Anyone ever seen this before?

I got a 3000 mile road trip coming up and I'll be watching them, but I expect I'll be getting rapid bushing wear due to the holes in the shock mounts being reamed out from the shock stems floating in them for a number of miles.

Over the years I've installed a lot of shocks and never had this problem.

2. AntonyBBC

AntonyBBC

I have similar question:

The shock boot has separated / torn in the middle on both rear shocks. Is there an easy way to replace this without having to take the entire suspension apart (which seems like a lot of work).

My search shows that there is a split opinion on the importance of this boot, but provided it's not too much work I would like to be proactive and replace the torn boot.

Please advise if there is a simple way to change. Thanks.

3. bigredmachine

bigredmachine

usually if there s not a lock washer or lock nut, something like a nylock nut, you would have to double nut the shock top. that's how my kybs are with the double nut on the top.

short answer without seeing it, no at a minimum youll need to unbolt the shock top to be able to remove the boot. if its a small tear I wouldn't worry about it and just leave it be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.