Propane starting issue, I need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I went to start the rig up, to pull it outside so I could give it an oil change and a once over before wheeling this upcoming weekend.

I have a propane setup, it's a custom system from parts accumulated over the years.
It's been running with a higher idle lately so I suspected either my timing, or that something was possibly sticking.

I have an HEI conversion I did, with a sloppy bracket I "fabbed" up out of pvc pipe and a clamp. The dizzy has always been loose, but it's ran fine. I turned it a bit back and forth, of course not paying attention to where it was initially oriented.
It was running fine at this point, but with still too high of an idle IMO.

Time to look elsewhere.
I do have the lower stock part of the carb where the throttle linkage hooks up on the back(firewall side) and where the choke used to hook up on the front( radiator side).My pane mixer sits on top.
I turned the rod with the spring on the front and the idle dropped too low and it eventually stalled.

I can not get this thing to fire again. I have fire, I have fuel. Hell, I about killed my battery.

I decided to shut my tanks valve and purge the system and come in here and chill for a bit, then I'll try again.

I wish I knew a local shop or propane guru I could bring over to look at it. I also wish I could fab my way out of a paper bag and not do things like the dizzy bracket half assed.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, or ridicule!

sounds like a huge vac leak to me. (high idle)

And timing that is..

Start from scratch. Get the timing set..

Any sort of vacuum leak in the throttle body area will make the propane run like crap. I had to JB weld all the vacuum ports on my holley throttle body so there was no chance of a leak.

you need a primer for your vaporizer. which can be wired into your starter or a momentary switch on the dash.

for a quick solution, go get some two stoke gas mix in a squirt bottle and pour a little into the mixer she will fire up on the first turn.

cheers

GB

Any sort of vacuum leak in the throttle body area will make the propane run like crap. I had to JB weld all the vacuum ports on my holley throttle body so there was no chance of a leak.
I will be checking for leaks today.

you need a primer for your vaporizer. which can be wired into your starter or a momentary switch on the dash.

for a quick solution, go get some two stoke gas mix in a squirt bottle and pour a little into the mixer she will fire up on the first turn.

cheers

GB
Can you tell me more about this primer. ANd 2 stroke gas mix?! Never heard of using that, but of course I;m a total pane newb .

the primer is a solenoid that gives a little extra propane when starting, sort of like a choke on a gaser, your local impco dealer will be able to order the part for you.

i use the two stroke mix as it's less harsh than straight gas and because it works with out damaging the motor. have used this technique with a chev 305 built for propane.

GB

the primer is a solenoid that gives a little extra propane when starting, sort of like a choke on a gaser, your local impco dealer will be able to order the part for you.

i use the two stroke mix as it's less harsh than straight gas and because it works with out damaging the motor. have used this technique with a chev 305 built for propane.

GB

Pretty sure I have that solenoid hanging of the side, it's not hooked up, but I have given it 12 volts while my wife cranked the engine, doesn't seem to do anything.

I do have an opening going into my valve cover that used to have a hose on it. Maybe part of the PCV system or something? Maybe it went to the original air cleaner, I don't know.

you should be able to here a click like sound as the solenoid engages and disengages.

oh i forgot, on the vaporizer their is a button you can press down. get the wife to crank the engine and give a little pedal at the same time while you hold down the button.

I can here the solenoid click. I have held the button down while my wife cranks.

I will spend some time on the link you provided.

This is frustrating, it finally warmed up, and I was supposed to be wheeling today.

the regulator filter could be blocked.

Where's the filter?

here are a couple old pics of my setup.

P1010019.JPG

P1010020.JPG

Take apart the vaporizer and take a look. Mine starts without the "prime" even when it is below freezing..

When I take the vap apart, what do I look for?

I am familiar with the regulator, just not aware of where the filter is?

I didn't get squat done, I had to do some work on my tractor, my ATV, and pull a car out of the field that someone is coming to look at tomorrow. Gotta go visit a friend in the hospital so I shall continue in the morning.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming. I'll take some more pics tomorrow if that will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom