Prolong, Slick50, Molly, engine additives (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see so many engine oil additives from auto stores like Prolong, Slick50, Molly, Restore, and others that guarantee the result for engine performances, longevity, and protection. Doesn't these days motor oil comes with these already blend into their formula?
Does it work?

There have been numerous reports over the years that Slick50 is merely snake oil -- I would be really concerned of residue it may leave behind, too --

eric

good oil, good filters, proper change intervals...and those snake oils are not needed.

DON'T DO IT. We have talked about it in the past. Use a good oil, change it in a timely manner and leave the additives to the oil manufacture.

Cary

I second that................. :cheers:

Mobil 1!

PT Barnum's original Snake Oil lives on into the 21st Century in the form of most of these additives..... Quality motor oil changed regularly is the way to achieve longevity. As an example, using a super fine oil filter such as Bosch's top model and Teflon means a partly clogged filter in short order. Many of the Teflon particles are larger than the filter orifices.

Conversely, ask a manufacturer of Teflon pots and pans how tough it is to get Teflon to stick to metal under the most stringent controlled manufacturing conditions. Then ask yourself if it's really going to stick to your bearings when merely sloshed around them. Oh, and while literally submerged in an oil bath....

IdahoDoug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom