Project Ambitious: 1UZ FJ40 - Help Needed!! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just realised that the videos are not really on this thread. Guess it goes to show what happens when you have three project threads going. While the full details and more pics can be found on the IJC forum thread , I really like this IH8MUD thread for the simplicity:

These are just some random videos that a few friends captured mostly in the early testing phase:

First zero to sixty time (engine not fully tuned, but...) :
YouTube - SK471

On the M2 Motorway against 3.0 Mitsubishi Pajero:
YouTube - Desert devil Vs SK
YouTube - Uzi Co&^%#*ia SEX!!

Engine bay view and rev on cold sand run day:
YouTube - MOV00D.MOD

First run on deep Indus sands...
YouTube - Uzi's run

In the above context and plans to race this at the Cholistan Jeep rally in Pakistan, a question we seem to be struggling with at this stage is whether this would handle better with 31s or 33s in deepish desert sand? Please give me your thoughts and also an idea of how much lift would be needed to fit in 33s!

Also plan on putting a stabiliser bar at the back if we can find a suitable one off a 40 series pickup!

That engine looks really nice! Have many people tried the 1UZ before? It looks pretty fast in the 1st youtube video

That engine looks really nice! Have many people tried the 1UZ before? It looks pretty fast in the 1st youtube video

Many Thanks! I believe the 1UZ is a pretty common conversion particularly in Hiluxes / 4Runners / Surfs and a very popular swap engine in its category generally owing to its ruggedness and price. On 40s, I have not seen too much on the net but there probably are a good few (some pics posted on this thread and a youtube video from somewhere in Far East or Australia)!

Personally, I would love to hear more and share experiences with other projects!

Last edited:
I love it that the driver is wearing a helmet, and the passenger is holding on for dear life!! AWESOME!!!!

Sweet build-up...you've inspired me to build a similar FJ40....V8 power is insane in that light of a vehicle!

The 2UZ J40 Concordia !

Not sure if I mentioned this on mud, but we did follow this one up with an identical project, with a hard-top and a 2UZ this time :D

The 2UZ FJ40 Build Thread on PakWheels (with lots of video): Project 2UZ FJ40 Concordia Build Thread - PakWheels Forums

file.php

file.php

Hey,

I really like what you've done to ur cruise and would like to do the exact same to mine!!!!! :)

Do you have diagrams of your engine mounts and adaptor plate so i could also do this conversion???

Also do you think there is enough room for a turbo??

Cheers

Ur 40 is AWESOME!!!!

Nice work

Not sure if I mentioned this on mud, but we did follow this one up with an identical project, with a hard-top and a 2UZ this time :D

The 2UZ FJ40 Build Thread on PakWheels (with lots of video): Project 2UZ FJ40 Concordia Build Thread - PakWheels Forums

Do you know what these guys used for an ECU in this swap? OEM? As far as I know the 2UZ-FE ECU needs to be connected to the auto tranny to run properly. Obviously these guys worked that all out.

As far as electronics go, a stock ECU was wired to the engine controls using the stock harness. All the auto wiring was disconnected and the engine seems to run fine.

This is an early 2UZ (non VVTi) version and I have trouble visualizing why it would not run without the auto with the stock ECU given that the JZs, 1UZs, 5VZs and 3Ss have never had such issues. The loom is rather terrifying to look at and I guess a lot of people would rather go for an aftermarket stuff out of a box rather than split hairs for a few weeks.

I am not confident whether the newer 2UZ VVTi engine can be made to run in this manner, but then again apparently even aftermarket stuff has difficulty working the VVti stuff...

intersting. What have started this and the outcome...

This is brilliant!

we have been discussing what to do with the half built project in the shed as i dont hold hopes for the f in it and the 35's on it. We talked about the 1UZFE and its great to see yours be such a success.

When the time comes to put mine in be prepared to a million questions. Congratulations on it and good luck!

you got cabbage? you can do anything

Do you know what these guys used for an ECU in this swap? OEM? As far as I know the 2UZ-FE ECU needs to be connected to the auto tranny to run properly. Obviously these guys worked that all out.

The 1UZ engine will run fine with the auto removed and a 5 speed in its place. It is actually a pretty easy engine to work with in both OBD1 and OBD2 versions....but you will get a variety of codes if you got to a 5 speed in the OBD2 version without some creative wiring. Nonetheless, it will still run great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom