Problems with my new welder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just saw the post recomending buying a welder instead of paying someone else to do it. That is what I did a couple a months ago. It is a Craftsman mig wire feed with optional gas. The panels for my 40 came in so I am practicing on some scrap metal, but I had a problem when I had to put in a new spool of wire. The new spool goes through, but I guess the wire from the previous spool jams up the new wire. Anybody have any idea how to fix that.

Thanks for any help.

Rudy

When you ran the other spool out did you pull the left over wire out of the gun? Are you sure your binding on old wire? Did you take the tip off while the wire is feeding through? Can you feed any wire at all?

Take the tip off the sheath and when the new wire comes out, then thread the tip bakc on. BTDT.

Ed

EDIT: Whoops! 73fj already said that.

I Tried to pull the old wire out but it did not budge. I thought maybe it would get pushed out with the new one. I guess i made a mistake. Now when I was getting a handle on making the puddles, I get screwed with the feed.

Take the tip off the sheath and when the new wire comes out, then thread the tip bakc on. BTDT.

I already took the tip off. just could not get the wire to give me a continous feed.

Rudy

Let me add that when I put the contact tip inside the nozzle I have to leave it loose. If I tighten it then i won't get the wire to come through. But even loose the wire still jams up.

Rudy

take the new wire out
take the old wire out
feed the new wire through
put the tip back on

as to how you'll get the old wire out, I've got no clue

Is the new wire the same size as the old wire?
Do you have the right size tip and roller feed wheels for the wire?
Check the tension/wear on the roller feed wheels.

Is the new wire the same size as the old wire?
Do you have the right size tip and roller feed wheels for the wire?
Check the tension/wear on the roller feed wheels.

:doh: Forgot about that. Comes in several sizes and you need the right tip. Are you gas welding ot flux-core welding? I run .023 or .030 using gas. Flux core is .035.....that might be your problem. Tip must match wire diameter.

:beer:

Ed

take the new wire out

as to how you'll get the old wire out, I've got no clue

Excatly my problem! yes the new wire is the same, I bought the same size that came with it.

Rudy

So are you binding at the tip or in the liner??
When the tip is off, Can you get the wire to feed then??
IF so put a new tip on.
If that is not it I would check the drive rollers make sure they are in line.
Look through a post on the lincoln 175 in the tools section, There is a long discussion on this.
Dave

So are you binding at the tip or in the liner??
When the tip is off, Can you get the wire to feed then??
IF so put a new tip on.
If that is not it I would check the drive rollers make sure they are in line.
Look through a post on the lincoln 175 in the tools section, There is a long discussion on this.
Dave

Dave,

Even a new tip jams it up. Without the tip the rollers pull it through fine (but the wire gets caught up sometimes). When I take the tip off, I can see (I guess the old wire still in there). I check that post.

Thanks

Rudy

You have to clear the old wire out of the liner before threading a new spool. Once the spool is burned up so the rollers can't push the wire any longer you pull the tip and yank the remainder of the wire out then thread the new spool. If you have old wire still in the liner and can't get it out you will probably have to replace the liner, get this at your local welding store and be sure it is the correct size. If you have indeed cleared the liner and have binding problems then another thing to check is that the spool spins freely. Sometimes the nut on the spool will tighten up and bind so the spool wont turn. Be sure you know how to correctly set your roller tension so it isn't too loose or too tight.

You should be able to take the gun apart enough to grab that old wire I think, if you can't get it take it to a dealer and have them do it, I'll bet they do it free or minimal cost.

"Now when I was getting a handle on making the puddles, I get screwed with the feed."

After you clear the wire jam try the following: By the by all the advise to this point has been excellent!

It sounds like the tip has become fouled. the rest is a symptom of this initial issue. Tips are a consumable item. Buy a few and have them around. To avoid fouling the tip: avoid sticking the tip into the puddle, do this by increasing the "run out" = increase the amount of wire between the tip and the work. Adjustments to the feed and heat may be necessary.

Work with clean materials. The more contaminants (paint, galv., rust, other stuff) the more slag, spitting & popping which also fouls the tip!

FYI: It is possible for a jambed wire to "weld"/adhere to the sheath. when this happens a new sheath is the only solution.

In your checks, verify that the machine end of the sheath is fully engaged in the whip socket. then verify that the sheath to roller distance is not too small. The sheath should not touch the roller.
A new sheath requires cutting to length. Follow the replacement instructions. ensure both the sheath/drive roller distance is correct and the contact tip is in contact but not significantly compressing the sheath end.

Good luck! Post up your practice welds.

Sears/Craftsman stand by their products, bring the POS back get a new one and your welding tomorrow;)

I have a Craftsman MIG 105 amp. I also had problems at first when learning to use it. Here are some tips for this welder...

First: There is a wing nut/spring/washer that holds the wire spool on and its tension is critical. The spool should not free wheel (birds nest of wire will result) but should not be so tight the feed rollers slip trying to pull wire off it.

Second: The wire feed tension needs to be adjusted as follows: With gas shield and tip in place, hold the nozzle against a board and pull the trigger. As soon as the wire hits the board the feed rollers should start SLIPPING and NOT create a jam between the sheath and the rollers! The wire should feed consistently when not blocked.

Third: Make sure the tips provided match your wire size. My welder came with an assortment of tips and if you choose a tip too small then you will constantly be fusing the wire to the tip. Too large a tip (or a worn out tip) can cause inconsistent voltage to the wire.

Can you post a pic of your setup so we can see what your problem is?

Well, I found where it is binding up. At the end of the gas diffuser where the wire comes out, there part of the old wire. I noticed that if I tightened the tip I would get not feed on the wire, but I tip is left loose I would get feed, but binds every so often. Now I just have if I can get it out. Thanks for the help everyone.

Rudy

Well, I found where it is binding up. At the end of the gas diffuser where the wire comes out, there part of the old wire. I noticed that if I tightened the tip I would get not feed on the wire, but I tip is left loose I would get feed, but binds every so often. Now I just have if I can get it out. Thanks for the help everyone.

Rudy

Rudy - If I understand correctly just replace the tip - a $0.10 part :)

Also, as a general rule, keep the feed cable as straight as possible coming out of the machine and NEVER step or let anything heavy fall on the feed cable - it will (could) crush the sheath

"

FYI: It is possible for a jambed wire to "weld"/adhere to the sheath. when this happens a new sheath is the only solution.

Good luck! Post up your practice welds.

This sounds like my problem. When I looked closer after taking the tip off, I noticed that bead in the center of the pic. Hope you all can see what I am talking about from the pic. I assume that is not supposed to be there. I tried pulling it out with needle nose pliers, but no luck. See what else I can do. If no luck tonight I will take it in. I would like to add gas to the welder, but went cheap because of all the money spent on my 40 so far.

Rudy
Picture or Video 002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom