Pretty Petty Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, for those that think that all posts should be super techy, super hardcore, or super important, skip this one, and skip all the insults for me asking such a thing please. I would like advice about the fender flares on the rear doors of the 80 series and how they seem to constantly get crammed up with mud, snow, sand and stuff. I wash them whenever I wash the vehicle but it seems to me that without this as regular preventive maintenance, the area of the door, under the flare is perfectly prone to rust. Has anyone done anything about this??? Would a rubber weatherstrip of the right width glued to each edge be a good idea? How about boring a large hole in the bottom triangular area of the flare and adding a drain plug? Should I simply screw off and stop worrying? Come on, someone wants to say it!!! Anyway, as always, any advice is appreciated. :beer: For All!

I live up in the RUST belt and haven't noticed anything going on in that area. I wouldn't worry. Now if you want someplace to obsess about try the lift gate just under the window. They start as small spots coming out from the inside.

I've got on both my rear fender flares the part that is on the very bottom and rear of the flares rusted. It sits inside the flare (its a funny shape) and has a piece that sticks down on the back where the top of the rear mudgaurd is then screwed into it.
You cannot buy this piece seperately and need to either fab something up, buy a complete new flare system or ignore it , when it breaks.
So yes stuff can get rusted from all the crap that gets in there.
Another option is to fill up all the inside of the flare with some sort of expanding foam that will keep water/dirt out. Just need to ensure that it fills it completely. Not tried that yet (if can find some stuff that will hold its shape under abuse and can reversed e..g apply heat).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom