Pressure Cookers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We have been pressure cooking meals for probably thirty years. Sunday pot roast in an hour. Fantastic pork chops in sauerkraut and apples. Started with our 22 quart canning cooker and graduated to a 6 qt. Now we have an 8 qt we can actually pressure fry chicken in, like tavern style broasted stuff. We can speed release it to add ingredients, it's pretty cool. We really love it. Usually use beer for liquid, or beef stock for pot roasts. For roasts I like to brown them really well and then put a layer of onions under it to help keep it from burning. Just don't drown it or let it run dry. My friend that I turned on to pressure cooking swears it's the best way to cook artichokes.
More detail; on pressure frying please.

Basically pressure cooking with hot oil. You need a pressure cooker that is made for this, not just any pressure cooker. I can't remember the brand on mine but I'll try to remember to check. Mine looks a lot like this one with the bar and the screw so you can release pressure gradually. I've only done it a couple of times, it's kind of intense.

Gadgets: Magefesa Star Pressure Cooker

Look for Fagor pressure magic. Or pro-selections.com

Try this;
Cover the bottom of the pressure cooker with rough chopped carrots and celery, just enough to keep one whole chicken off the bottom. Rinse the chicken and add to the cooker. Salt, Pepper and parsley to taste. Fill cooker to cover the chicken about 2/3 with water. When the cooker is at pressure cook for ~25 minutes. Let it lose pressure naturally. Meanwhile cube up about 2 cups each of carrots and celery, about 1/4 inch. Strain the juice from the pressure cooker into a stock pot discard the veggies from the cooker, add the cubed veggies and enough stock to make a total of about 4 quarts, bring to a simmer. Beat three whole eggs until well blended. Mix ~ 1 cup flour with 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsb salt. Combine eggs and dry mix directly on a large cutting board. Kneed and add flour to make a medium stiff dough, you want it to be about like pressing the heel of your hand. Let the dough rest. Meanwhile bone out the chicken and cut into chunks about 1/4 inch (spoon size) add chicken to the stock, the veggies should be getting soft. Roll out the dough about 1/8" thick and cut into four pieces. Stack the pieces and cut into strips about 1/4" wide. Separate the strips and add a little more flour to coat the edges, kind of fluff the noodles and flour together until they are well coated with flour. Any extra flour will thicken the broth so don't fret it. Add the noodles to the pot and simmer until they are tender. They will kind of puff up like dumplings.

Start to finish this took me a little over an hour* to make last night and it tasted kike the broth had been cooking all day.

*I didn't count the half hour I spent drinking beer while the chicken cooked.

Well, no pictures so I guess it didn't happen but got home and threw a chuck roast into the pressure cooker, browned it well, tossed in a can of beef broth, and ran it under pressure for an hour while I worked on other things. Came back in, relieved the pressure and tossed in some red potatoes. Brought it back up for 30 minutes while I browned some bacon and onions and tossed them into a batch of home canned green beans. Sliced some 1" slabs of cabbage and, after some evo and Montreal baked them at 400 for a while. Pulled the roast and spuds out and made some smashed potatoes and whipped up some gravy with the drippings. Damn! Tasty dinner in about two hours.

Well used the pressure cooker for something other than beans the other night. Threw some county style ribs and broth in and cooked them for 25 minutes on the suggestion from Rusty. Made some very good pulled pork sandwiches, but might not let it cook as long next time.

I want to experiment a little more with other items. Hell, this opens up the possibilities at the cabin for me...

I have used the big canning one on my Camp Chef propane stove when it's too hot to use it inside but haven't used my cooker on the propane, I'll have to try it. Good lord that pot roast was heaven.

@rusty_tlc

Trying the chicken. Might skip the dumplings tonight though, going to see what it looks like when cooked.

20160213_180749.jpg

The chicken was excellent! I still need to make soup out of the stock but for a quick chicken dinner I couldn't ask for more. Thanks for the recipe!

20160213_191939.jpg

Lesson learned tonight: do not let the pressure out rapidly as it messes up the cooking time. No matter how hungry you are, when the timer goes off be patient and let it sit until it naturally depressurizes.

There are some recipes that call for running cold water over the pressure cooker to cool it faster.

Beef stew; cubed chuck, taters, carrots, celery, a can of diced tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Dredge the meat in flour (S&P) and brown in a little oil. Do this right in the pot. Throw everything else in plus enough stock to cover, loosen the brown bits off the botom. Cook for 20 minutes. The trick to stews is the size of the ingredients, make them proportional to cooking times ie: make tater chunks bigger than carrot chunks.

Going to give this a shot tomorrow. I have some extra New York Strips I would like to use up (hoping to make it amazing) and the snow is piling up pretty good making it the perfect time for stew.

Going to give this a shot tomorrow. I have some extra New York Strips I would like to use up (hoping to make it amazing) and the snow is piling up pretty good making it the perfect time for stew.
Good luck, it works out well if you size the ingredients right.

The New York Strip stew was a success, thanks Rusty for the recipe!

Just the chicken recipes were enough to bring me on board..
Found the old Presto and my mother's house, think the last and only thing cooked in it was javelina chili back in the early 80's (has been rated as best chili ever from the gals I was dating at the time).
Got to be old, even came with the original paperwork in only English..
001.JPG

Check the rubber seal, it is probably cracked. Ace hardware sells replacements, they are also available from Walmart on-line.
Thats is an awesome find, I use the same canner.
Kind of big for cooking but it will work.

We use the pressure cooker lots at home. Especially good for dry lentils, beans, chickpeas. I don't know if you folks have checked spot prices on pulses, but per bushel, very affordable.

I use the Hawkins pressure cooker, happy with it. Thinking about the 1.5L Hawkins for the trail.

You should be a master of the pressure cooker and kitchen dutch oven. Both are very handy on long camping trips too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom