Preserving Miss Kitty, circa 1964 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HelloKitty65

SILVER Star
Threads
My handle of Hello Kitty came from badly oxidized red paint that several people told me looked pink. It wouldn't buff out.
Then I noticed a clear drip on my glass. It took a green potscrubber and a sharp knife to get the damn thing off. It was old clear coat. The whole exterior was coated in it. I discovered that hand scrubbing it eventually gets me down to red paint. So now, in honor of Amada Blake's character in Gunsmoke, and her beautiful red hair, allow me to introduce Miss Kitty.

First order of business, returning some of her classical lines on the back side.
later4.jpg

ab27.jpg

Last edited:
The spare tire carrier was loose in the car, and had a busted hinge. I was excited to find one from an old guy who told me 'stock was best'. I wasn't there yet, but restoration fever was taking hold.
I decided, the bumper, cool as it was, had to go.
20171222_153021.jpg
20180220_000105.jpg
20171223_191334.jpg

Build date seems to have been January of 1964. A brass T-65 tag and VIN plate show it first registered in 1965.

Last edited:
About caught up to real time, from the last 4 months of activity. My corrugated sides had corner windows added, and I bit the bullet and got these from Mark's Offroad

image.jpg
20180122_123947.jpg

Last edited:
I'm waiting for three riveted rims, they look kind of rough. Am looking for one more, and plan to paint them all red. Have one new welded rim for the spare and a sole oem acorn hubcap. Ordered up a new full set of new acorns from Speedsail. Tall skinny tires are in the plan
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (2).jpg

Anxiously awaiting ordered red seat belts (now that red is officially back). In for a penny, in for a pound.

Just arrived today, a 1963 oil filter to replace an aftermarket one.
20180118_182551.jpg
s-l400 (6).jpg
My first engine restoration purchase.

Last edited:
The PO's door hinges were a bit too flashy. @MadmanCruiser has some nice old
(maple leaf) red ones. I'm hoping to get 4 of these down from Oh Canada.
20180118_182404.jpg
IMG_20180206_1608016 (1).jpg

Last edited:
A recent milestone, getting the windshield to fold down. This year's hard top had the hinges, but no supports or hooks on the hood. Won't add them, so bungy cords and a boat cushion it will be on those sunny days. Am carefully saving the defrost vents, which hook up to nothing (this rig never had the optional heater), they interfere with folding the windshield. Gonna miss the amenity of a heater
3695.jpeg

Last edited:
About time you started a thread, Keith. Nice work so far.

Talking about your wheels and tires, I’m dropping mine off to be dismounted today and the wheels will go to Schwab for sand blasting and powder coating later this week. Mine will be the stock low-sheen black. Will go back together with new skinny bias tires. I’ll let you know how the powder coating goes. It’s pretty cheap service, and I think there is a red as one of the standard colors, if you are going to go non-stock.

From her Craigslist post.View attachment 1637805
More pics on my media page.
I want to match both the original paint, the second coat which seems to have matched the first, and what those paints have become. Am I crazy? Don't answer that. I like the patina, which is evolving as I free these colors from the old clear coat. I believe body color painted wheels were stock in 64-65. Didn't know Les Schwab restored rims. Will check them out.

More pics on my media page.
I want to match both the original paint, the second coat which seems to have matched the first, and what those paints have become. Am I crazy? Don't answer that. I like the patina, which is evolving as I free these colors from the old clear coat. I believe body color painted wheels were stock in 64-65. Didn't know Les Schwab restored rims. Will check them out.
Remember to save me a summit for my spare.

Thanks to @thebigredrocker for the lead on SOR's coral seat covers.
My rear seats have the original coral seat covers, but vinyl painted black by a PO. SOR carries some, starting 1965, which I've learned often means 'not me'. Anyone know how different earlier jump seats were from those '65 on? Would a '65 rear jump seat kit provide the material necessary, or even need modification?

That is a nice looking cruiser.

Build date seems to have been January of 1964. A brass T-65 tag and VIN plate make it a 65 model.

Would it be incorrect for people to conclude that a "4" preceding FJ40 in a vin clearly identifies a FJ40 as a 1964 model?

I believe body color painted wheels were stock in 64-65.

What makes you believe this?

SOR carries some, starting 1965, which I've learned often means 'not me'.

The Specter page includes measurements. You might compare yours against theirs to be sure? The Specter page also specifies that their coral rear covers apply to "1962-9/71" in spite of the confusing "1965-9/71" designation elsewhere on the page.

Keep up the fine work.

That is a nice looking cruiser.

Thanks. Once I decided to invest in it, progress began. Lucky for me, I missed that early mirror this morning.

Would it be incorrect for people to conclude that a "4" preceding FJ40 in a vin clearly identifies a FJ40 as a 1964 model?

That is what The FJ4X registry says. And the tables there there pin it down to a build month of January 1964. I think maybe they just couldn't sell them back then and it sat until the '"65" model year.

What makes me believe it?

Mud and speculation?

The Specter page includes measurements. You might compare yours against theirs to be sure? The Specter page also specifies that their coral rear covers apply to "1962-9/71" in spite of the confusing "1965-9/71" designation elsewhere on the page.

Keep up the fine work.

Will do. I'll break out the tape measure, and call them if necessary. They were helpful on the phone. Thanks @Old Red.

I believe body color painted wheels were stock in 64-65. Didn't know Les Schwab restored rims. Will check them out.
i think you will find that the original finish on the wheels for your truck was satin black. Schwab calls theirs ‘flat’ but the sample I saw looks more satin to me. I should have mine back a week from Monday.

Remember to save me a summit for my spare.
Just got it dismounted today. I have it here at home, let me know next time you are in town.

Will do. I'll break out the tape measure, and call them if necessary. They were helpful on the phone. Thanks @Old Red.
Found the "Color question" thread already asked and answered, and now I don't remember where I got the idea. Perhaps in a dream, as I do work on this that way sometimes. Thanks Oregon FJ, Old Red, from keeping me from screwing it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom