Prerun Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tontorecreationalliance.org
Rob, Norm (Offroad Rage), Chris (FJCDriver) Michael (ChaseTruck) and I played on what I believe was Pyeatt Draw near Payson today as a prerun for a club run. I have to report that it's a first rate place to hone your "doing battle with the rocks" skills. Fun trail.

The closest thing I can compare it to is Ajax, except it's clean. Like Ajax it's in a creek bottom with a road paralleling it, allowing the driver to pick which sections to run. Unlike Ajax the rock is mainly square, lots of steps and slabs.

The first sections are plenty challenging for a slightly modified truck, lift, upgraded tires and a locker. From what we saw of the upper section, I don't think the hardcore driver would leave unchallenged. The exit road has some challenges for the totally stock truck and is close to the trail allowing those that wanted to observe and photo shoot access. The exit road also has some very nice remote camping areas.

We found a good meeting place in Payson, so if anyone's game let's setup a run. Didn't shoot many pix;

7-2-2006_1.jpg

7-2-2006_2.jpg

7-2-2006_3.jpg

7-2-2006_4.jpg

WOW, Payett Draw with IFS Cruisers.. Very Ballsy :cheers: Was there water in the back, at the falls?

Tools R Us said:
... Didn't shoot many pix...

That can be a good thing, otherwise my stylishly red rain outfit might have made it on here...

Thanks for all your help and stacking rocks for me, I certainly had my hands full with trying to drive the '40 :D :grinpimp:

RHINO said:
looks nice, medium rock action in the pines?

Plenty of medium rock action and from what little I saw of the upper part even you may have to admit to being challenged.:D Very nice area.

DBAX said:
WOW, Payett Draw with IFS Cruisers.. Very Ballsy :cheers: Was there water in the back, at the falls?

We didn't make it to the falls, by the time we made it back that way it was raining on us and we needed to get my :princess: rig out of there before it melted.:D

I am in...looks awesome...Pines and wheeling...great combo..especially with our dry summers in Phoenix...Wish I could have run this with you guys...Can we go next weekend? Anybody who knows how to get there I will go with:D

LOL kev, speedbumps challenge me sometimes depending on brand beer consumed.

hey driver whats the wheelbase on them thar newcruisers?? looks just about right for general trail work.

how were the temps up there?

FJCDriver said:
Thanks to Rob and Kevin, for leading us FJC'ers around. Other than a little bumper carnage on a rock, my FJ did pretty good on the trail. Definately would do that trip again.

Photo album from my camera is up:
http://members.cox.net/chris66gt/pyeatt draw/index.htm

I think you and Norm did very well for your first time in the rocks, sure a couple of spots were less than graceful, but rock wheeling takes practice and intimidates a lot of wheelers. A couple of more trips like that and you guys will be cruising right over them rocks with confidence. Everybody drove their lines with no strapping, jacking, towing, etc. making for a good day.

Nice pix, but not enough of my pink panties :princess: rig. :crybaby: :D

Rock Training

Hey Kevin,
Big thanks to you, Rob and Michael for putting this trip together. It was patience and superior spotting skills that really helped the FJ's get through. The locale was great and it seems like it has something for everyone. At least I know the rock rails work. By the way, I got some pix of the superlux cruiser :D on the rock piles but since I don't have enough posts on this site I can't post any pictures. If you want to PM me with your e-mail address I can send them to you. Otherwise I can post them on the FJ forum and just post the link here.

By the Branden it was 66 F when we left there after the nice cool rain shower and then was back to 97 F when we hit Fountain Hills. Temps during the ride were in the 80s.

Wheel base on the new rigs are 105.9".

-Norm

OffRoad Rage said:
Hey Kevin,
Big thanks to you, Rob and Michael for putting this trip together. ...

Thanks, but I can't claim any part in this. But after the fan clutch fiasco, it was nice to take the '40 out for a spin. Maybe one day I will actually learn how to drive it. In the meantime, I'll be happy to go back the wheelbase, width, and auto tranny of my K5... :grinpimp: In case you haven't seen it, it'll sport the '40 bezel that was so successful at Cruise Moab...:eek: :bounce2:

Last edited:
bluecruiser said:
I am in...looks awesome...Pines and wheeling...great combo..especially with our dry summers in Phoenix...Wish I could have run this with you guys...Can we go next weekend? Anybody who knows how to get there I will go with:D

Cant go next week, maybe the 22, 23, 29, 30?

I think I might be able to make it also, this hot air is starting to get to me...

OffRoad Rage said:
By the way, I got some pix of the superlux cruiser :D on the rock piles but since I don't have enough posts on this site I can't post any pictures. If you want to PM me with your e-mail address I can send them to you. Otherwise I can post them on the FJ forum and just post the link here.
-Norm

Norm, cough up $20 to woody for a silver star. Then you can post all the pics you want, regardless of post count.

Looks like a nice place. I'll see what I can do about making another north run, when you go again.

Sounds like a good trip, I'm in for the run! I was learning to drive on the left side of the road :eek: and couldn't make the pre-run. Post a planned date. Thanks -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom