Pre lube chainsaw blades? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Living in the Past

SILVER Star
Threads
Bought a battery operated pole chainsaw from Harbor Freight which apparently isn't a Harbor Freight brand as they wouldn't honor the 20% off coupon and has a Oregon bar and chain. Lynxx brand which I never heard of. In the instructions it says to soak the chain in bar oil for twenty four hours before using. Since I had time I went ahead and did. Wonder if this is a good ideas for my other chainsaws for new blade Bought new Stihl blades that came in a cardboard box so know they were pre lubed. The Oregon blade was in a plastic bag and oily in the bag.

Not sure I understand the purpose of that?

Never mind.......!

I just re-read the post. Somehow I processed it as: 'soak the bar in oil' instead of what it actually says (soak the CHAIN).

That's what happens when you get old. And to think I still run my chainsaws. Might not be a good thing if I'm getting that screwy.

I don't think this can hurt. But I also don't think it's necessary if your saw oiling system is good. I don't do it with new or used chains.

I don't think this can hurt. But I also don't think it's necessary if your saw oiling system is good. I don't do it with new or used chains.

I suspect it is just a precautionary measure to insure no links are frozen/stuck from the chain having sat around and possibly gotten surface rust. I have chains in hanging in my shop that I haven't used for years...and I would probably throw them in my parts cleaner (filled with Mineral Spirits) before using them...just so I knew all the links and pins were lubricated.

But like you...I've never had the problem of 'new' chains binding in any way. Of course, a properly working lubrication system (saw) should provide enough oil to satisfy the chain and bar during cutting. Pro models are typically adjustable and older (vintage) saws sometimes included a manual pump to 'add' oil if needed.

Come to think of it, it's probably not a bad idea to lube up anything that comes out of HF, actually.... Would not be surprised if something even new was already rusted.... And since it's HF, the oiling system on the saw probably won't work right, so at least the chain would last a few minutes if presoaked... :lol:

But as to Stihl, Oregon, etc chains, I would not bother.

Come to think of it, it's probably not a bad idea to lube up anything that comes out of HF, actually....

Yep... I've opened things up and cleaned casting sand or other debris out of the grease/oil a few times.

Not sure I understand the whole deal on the LYNXX brand and Harbor Freight. Made in China but certainly doesn't mean it's a Harbor Freight product. Go to Costco and find name brand product only sold at Costco. Close to something else but a little different for Costco. The bag the chain comes in says made in the USA. Seems a little better quality than many other items they sell. The drive sprocket was coated with oil. The amount I used it the cutting dead limbs off pines trees it ran fine. Auto oiler was working. Checked the battery and still showed full charge. Not sure soaking the chain in bar oil was necessary but figure it couldn't hurt. Using any type of chain saw if it's not making a oily mess on the bar it's probably out oil or has a problem.

Not sure I understand the whole deal on the LYNXX brand and Harbor Freight.

Harbor Freight has brought out a bunch of new "brands" that are specifically excluded from their % off coupons - you can see it on the coupon right along with the exclusions for tool boxes, floor jacks, and everything else you'd typically want to buy... ;)

20-off-lg.png

Of course, they've recently included Central Machinery - which has been one of their long-standing "brands."

That's what happens when you get old. And to think I still run my chainsaws. Might not be a good thing if I'm getting that screwy.
Actually thats when things start to get intersting. They could make a movie about you depending on how far you take it. Or even a youtube post if you only go far enough to retain your independent life on the outside.

Actually thats when things start to get intersting. They could make a movie about you depending on how far you take it. Or even a youtube post if you only go far enough to retain your independent life on the outside.

Yeah, an old man running chainsaws.....what could possibly go wrong? ;)

Any movie about that would require certain 'warnings and disclaimers' I would imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom