Pre buy ?s 4th gen 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum and looking for alittle help . Looking to buy a one owner 03 4Runner 4.7 V8 with 130k list price the dealer is wanting 16000$ but the vehicle only has what I can find online 9 service records and has been in one accident. With saying that what are some things I should be looking over before I give them any of my money? Thank you all in advance. I’m not in any rush this is just one of many that looks nice online.

There's some good info on these GX470 threads that should apply to a 4th gen V8 4Runner.

There's some good info on these GX470 threads that should apply to a 4th gen V8 4Runner.

Thank you for the links they are definitely helpful and it also intrigued me to look into the GXs.

Thank you for the links they are definitely helpful and it also intrigued me to look into the GXs.

Currently have a '04 V6 4Runner and the Wife has an 07 GX470.

On the 4runner you are looking at. Check the frame cross member under the radiator. It loves to rust out in that location.

I bought my 4Runner 3 years ago. At the time I hadn't come across the GX470 or LX470s. After helping my wife to purchase her GX470 this spring I wish I had gone with a GX470 or LX470. I find her interior much more comfortable. Also at least here in the Northeast usually the GXs/LXs are in better shape rust wise the 4Runners.

New to the forum and looking for alittle help . Looking to buy a one owner 03 4Runner 4.7 V8 with 130k list price the dealer is wanting 16000$ but the vehicle only has what I can find online 9 service records and has been in one accident. With saying that what are some things I should be looking over before I give them any of my money? Thank you all in advance. I’m not in any rush this is just one of many that looks nice online.
Did you ask the dealer to check the National Service History? Whenever a vehicle is taken to a Toyota dealer for service, a record is kept of the service and is accessible from the dealer.

Did you ask the dealer to check the National Service History? Whenever a vehicle is taken to a Toyota dealer for service, a record is kept of the service and is accessible from the dealer.
I have not but I will be contacting them this week to set up appointment to see in person. I will definitely be asking if they have or to check it so I can see if some of those time consuming maintenance items have been taking care of! Thank you for the tip on that though.

Did you end up buying? If not, 2004 V6 Limited with 180k here. As mentioned, check for the rad support and "tow" hook, they tend to rust out first. Check that it engages into 4x4, sometimes it takes a bit if its been a few months. The V8 is timing belt, check for that service history or simply look at the condition of the belt. The front brake calipers tend to stick so see if it pulls to one side while cruising or pressing the brakes. Exhaust manifolds tend to crack and tick while driving, very annoying.

I just saw your post from January. Did you ever buy the '03?

I did not end up purchasing the 03 V8 it sold prior to me getting a chance to go down and check it all out. But I did purchase a 03 V6 very soon after with 163k miles with good service history but like many I have a list of to-do’s/ upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom