Power steering, what i thought would be logic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello, i was thinking about a powersteering conversion, and just wondering if a simple way to do it would be get a power steering setup from a late fj40 (ie1984) and would it slot in at all?

coming from australia we got plenty of these parts laying around,

or how hard is a "minitruck" what we call hilux PS conversion, i'm not much good at fab work....

I'm glad you touched on this subject, as saginaw p/s is not readily available here in South Africa, and was wondering what other P/S covertions would work. The Hilux would appear most "compatible", but I question it's strength for 35's. I have seen a toyota HINO truck p/s ram fitted to a Cruiser though.

I am no expert here, but the 84 Cruiser stuff should be the easiest. I assume you have to knock off the old pedestal and replace with the 84. The pump mounts to the block, and earlier blocks didn't have the holes bored and tapped in them. My 79 2F does, or is yours a diesel?

Many here do the hilux conversion. I understand you need a different pedastel which I think JToutfitters (and maybe others) sell. You may be able to adapt the hilux one with some creativity.

You may have to change or upgrade your center arm bearing as well.

Either one will have the 5 rod ends, and aside from that are good up to 35" tires. Once ya lock the front it will get hot and fade with heavy tight, high traction, steering usage off road. This is common on most conversions anyway, a good cooler and synthetic fluids will help some.

ok, i'm showing my ineptitude here but what is the "center arm bearing"?

i'm not sure of the block in mine, the PO told me it was out of an 82 fj, it had aircon, which is sitting in my shed at the moment, waiting to be turned into a compressor. but i needed a pre 77 distributer cap when i changed the dizzy cap, so is there a way to tell engine year. it is a 76, so the distributer thing probably explains that it is the original engine, but then again, ther e are a number of hoses all over the place from what looks to be an engine swap. so god only Knows.

if it is pre 79, is there a way to attach the pump at all to it, does it require drilling into the block, which i'm guessing would be bad, or could it mount to the aircon compressor mounting point??? it's on the right, and so is my steering wheel.

following this train of thought, would a 60series pump, or even early 80 series pump (3f something or other engine) be as easy, or much harder. would these pumps be better?.. i know it's a lot of Q's, but i figure i might as well pick some brains b4 attacking the daily driver

I used the minitruck PS swap, wdorry fabricates the necessary brackets and they're beefier than the JToutfitter ones, his prices are better. The swap uses a steering box from a 79-84 4x4 mini truck, you can use the Toyota pump but the GM saginaw pumps are stronger. As far as using stock Landcruiser power steering equipment, if you can get it that would definently be the easiest route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom