Power steering Pump failure - Rebuild or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive me if the answers are out there already but I didn't see much on 100 series and power steering pumps.

I got home yesterday from work and after the truck sitting for 10 minutes shut off found a decent size puddle of power steering fluid on the floor. Lifted the hood, and I see it's dripping from the pump itself. I checked the lines/hoses which were replaced couple months ago and they're all good. Pump itself looks original at 240k miles.

Now, is it just a seal that's failed that I can replace or is it worth replacing the whole pump? I used that AT 205 thing a month ago to try and stop a slow leak on the input rack. It worked but I guess it sped up the failure of the power steering pump.

Probably just a blown seal. I doubt the AT-205 sped up the failure - more likely that the AT-205 helped prevent failure from occurring sooner.

Considering an OEM gasket kit (04446-06040) is only $35-40, I’d try rebuilding/resealing before spending $300 on a new vane pump.

Thanks for the part number @JunkCrzr89 . I'll go ahead and order that. Hopefully the pump itself has many more miles left in it.

@Beto Cruiser I've not managed to take a closer look, but after parking it up, it's lost about a cup of fluid. It's not a leak, but more severe. It also came all of a sudden as I did a 2000 mile round trip 2 weeks ago and fluid levels were fine. Pump is original at 240k so it's probably about time for a refresh.

Those banjo fitting gaskets are just copper washers? Should be able to source them locally, or I've had great success re-annealing them and using back with a torch.

@Beto Cruiser I've not managed to take a closer look, but after parking it up, it's lost about a cup of fluid. It's not a leak, but more severe. It also came all of a sudden as I did a 2000 mile round trip 2 weeks ago and fluid levels were fine. Pump is original at 240k so it's probably about time for a refresh.

Those banjo fitting gaskets are just copper washers? Should be able to source them locally, or I've had great success re-annealing them and using back with a torch.
Yep, just copper washers. They may be your problem. About two weeks after changing my pump I suddenly lost all of the fluid. Shot out everywhere. Eventually found that it came from the banjo bolt. Then a few weeks later I noticed a slow leak from the bolt. So it could explain how it happened suddenly and severely. But then again my failure was explainable. Not sure why they would suddenly have a problem if you were not previously in there messing with it.

But then again my failure was explainable. Not sure why they would suddenly have a problem if you were not previously in there messing with it.
I agree. Shouldn’t be leaking from banjo bolt washers if the bolt has not been removed.

FYI on the PS pump. For leaks, rebuilding with gaskets makes sense to correct the loss of fluid. It's a reasonable repair and the cost of parts and time involved works out.

For a loud pump: if you've done multiple fluid flushes, bled all of the air (properly), and are getting pump overheating (I had this briefly on a trail this year)...replace the assembly with OEM. There are too many parts, and they are far too costly. The FSM language around ANY internal part in the pump found out of spec is "replace vane pump assembly." There is far too much time that goes into draining the system, pulling the pump and replacing it, to then add in breaking down the pump, checking everything with a micrometer, replacing it with parts that are 75% of the cost of a new pump, reinstalling...only to find it wasn't the real issue.

Ok, so a little bit of an update. Seal Kit should show up before the weekend. Fingers crossed because I have a trip planned the following weekend.

I thought meanwhile, lets see if I can find out exactly where it's leaking. The reservoir level reads a tad below low. And was on the high side prior to all that leaking few days ago. Truck hasn't moved since.

So I started it and ran it for 5 minutes, got the wheels turning left and right by someone whilst I took a look underneath and on top. Could not spot a single drop of fluid at all. Was a little puzzling. Especially when about a cupful leaked out over the course of 30 minutes on the driveway with the engine off. It was visibly dripped. Now, nothing.

Checked back this morning and no signs of leaks. engine off. I'm still going to rebuild it with new seals but it's just puzzling why it's not leaking anymore

Checked back this morning and no signs of leaks. engine off. I'm still going to rebuild it with new seals but it's just puzzling why it's not leaking anymore
Try turning the wheels. Might need load on the pump.

I had the engine on turning the wheels lock to lock and not a visible drop.

FYI on the PS pump. For leaks, rebuilding with gaskets makes sense to correct the loss of fluid. It's a reasonable repair and the cost of parts and time involved works out.

For a loud pump: if you've done multiple fluid flushes, bled all of the air (properly), and are getting pump overheating (I had this briefly on a trail this year)...replace the assembly with OEM. There are too many parts, and they are far too costly. The FSM language around ANY internal part in the pump found out of spec is "replace vane pump assembly." There is far too much time that goes into draining the system, pulling the pump and replacing it, to then add in breaking down the pump, checking everything with a micrometer, replacing it with parts that are 75% of the cost of a new pump, reinstalling...only to find it wasn't the real issue.
How long an OEM pump's lifespan looks like? 200K?
My pump has no leaking but seems there is a wishing sound from there Is this whining sound from engine bay normal?or a sign of bad PS pump or something? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/is-this-whining-sound-from-engine-bay-normal-or-a-sign-of-bad-ps-pump-or-something.1244143/

I probably don't have that luck...the previous owner of my truck definitely only did the polish...
Mine was maintained too. I get some whining when cold but fluid change helped. No leaks. I'm at 195k.

Try a fluid exchange and clean the pick up screen in the reservoir.

Mine was maintained too. I get some whining when cold but fluid change helped. No leaks. I'm at 195k.

Try a fluid exchange and clean the pick up screen in the reservoir.
Could you help me to identify the sound I posted? Is this whining sound from engine bay normal?or a sign of bad PS pump or something? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/is-this-whining-sound-from-engine-bay-normal-or-a-sign-of-bad-ps-pump-or-something.1244143/

I am not sure if this is the PS pump problem, Thanks.

That sounds normal to me. The engine bogs slightly until the idle up valve can increase rpm to compensate for the load on the serpentine belt.

That sounds normal to me. The engine bogs slightly until the idle up valve can increase rpm to compensate for the load on the serpentine belt.
I did one more time of power steering flush today, and I lubed the steering column, it does not change the sound but it could be normal as you said.
The steering feels a bit lighter not so much.
I just curious that if a bigger car should technically have heavier steering?
I have a pretty small Honda Fit, compare with the steering of my Fit, my LC does a little bit heavier, is that normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom