Power steering in my '72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to put power steering on my '72 FJ40. I understand you can swap in a mini truck gearbox, cut the shaft, weld in a rag joint, blah, blah, blah... But I don't want to go through all that.

Can I just swap in a complete '73 - '78 steering column to mate up to the mini truck gear box?? I should be able to. The only thing I think I'll have to overcome is connecting the turn signals (never mind the ignition switch, I'll leave it on the dash) since the plugs won't match.

So, mini truck power steering setup under the hood mated to a '73 - '78 column and custom turn signal switch wiring -- right? Do the columns mount under the dash and through the fire wall the same as a '72 ???

Jody.

it will work but you will need to fab some sort of bottom bracket to anchor the shaft cover to the firewall. it might be as easy as cutting the correct shape and drilling some holes.You can cut and weld the rag joint, as you said, or replace the early inner shaft with a later oem shaft. i think either way might be a little easier than fabbing the firewall mount.

Send me a pm and I'll tell you how to do it. It doesn't envolve swaping shafts. The whole wiring mess gives me nightmares. Cutting your factory coloumn is alot less trouble than doing what your contemplating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom