Power steering gear hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The return hose for my power steering gear this morning. 97fzj80. It was minus 40, and drove into town for breakfast. Came out and no power steering. Will I screw up my power steering system if I drive it this way for a couple of days. I don't want to fix it in the freezing cold, (wont be able to get a piece of hose till tommorow anyway), and with the cold, the local shops are smoking busy. Most I will drive is about 20 miles.
Sean

without fluid you P/S pump will wear out quickly, the fluid also lubricates the steering box, assuming the hose is damaged high then there still should be enough fluid trapped in the box to lubricate (if a Toyota box is like a saginaw) the gears and recirculating balls but the pump will die shortly without fluid turning a quick cheap hose replacement into a long expensive pump and hose replacement

how fast is it leaking? Is the return line completely severed or just leaking? Can you fill the reservoir and make it each trip without running out of fluid? Or maybe stop in the middle of each trip and fill it up?

Its leaking from the middle of the return hose, about as fast as a slow piss. Maybe I will get outside, take the hose off, warm it up, and wrap it with that hardening black stretchy tape and see what happens. Hell, its warmed up to minus 28 and I parked in the sun ::).
Sean

I don't have a LC (YET) so please excuse my ignorance but does the PS pump have its own belt? Or if it is paired with a non critical accessory device like a smog pump you could remove the belt and prevent damage until you can repair the hose, try to plug any open hose ends, the PS system has no filtration any grit that gets in will circulate forever wearing anything that touches PS fluid

just to mke you sick I am visiting relatives in florida and I wish I had packed shorts it is inb the upper 70's here :p

I can't remember what else if anything the PS belt drives, but I do know replacing the leaky hose is WAY easier.
Thanks,
Sean

The 1FZ power steering pump is gear driven, there is no way to disconnect it.

Sean, I lost all my power steering fluid in about 10 seconds in Moab when the same light sprung a leak. I would not drive it with the hose leaking. You will trash the pump.

FWIW, you can not buy the hose from Toyota. You need some 5/8" (I believe) ATF hose. Bitch to get on since it is slightly to small. Maybe you can get metric hose in CA>

Sean - having survived Yellowknife's -40 to -50, I would skip the tape, and try a few hose clamps and some rubber patch/neoprene/etc and try and clamp that over the hose.

Just don't freeze your hose off in the process :D

Cheers, Hugh (who is always amazed at what blows-up on cars when it's -40...like belts, hoses, CV boots, 'square' tires,...

Bad luck Sean-but seriously, MINUS 40!!! Stay inside. Did I mention that it's sunny and 50 degrees here? The bummer was it got down to 30 degrees last night-the coldest of the year so far. You sure you don't want to come south for our Death Valley trip? Good luck, I hope your garage is heated.

Well, I found some hose of about the right size, so changed it under my toy shed. No heat or walls. Garage is full and no heat. You are right Christo. It was a bitch to get on. Glad I have skinny arms. I heated the hose in my oven to about 180 and stretched the ends over some large bolts to stretch them out a bit. Then put the hose under my coveralls and raced out to the truck to get it on while it was still hot. Still a bitch. Seems to be working, but when it warms up I will recheck everything and probably change the hose to a known type. Andrew, Death Valley sounds good, but I will be in NewZealand and the Cook Islands then :D. Be Able to really warm my butt up then.
Cheers,
Sean

If you got 5/8" Napa hose, then the hose will be way tight. Go to CarQuest and get their 5/8 hose. I forgot who makes their hose. There hose slides on. Use injector hose clamps to clam it. Hose clamps work too.
The Napa hose is good for trail use as it is so tight it doesn't need hose clamps.

Gates makes Carquest's hose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom