Power steering fluid question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On the new to me Tacoma, the power steering fluid is brown and looks like some kind of mineral based fluid, but the owner's manual calls for Dexron ATF, Toyota doesn't make a brownish power steering fluid for these cars, do they?
I bought a bottle of cheap ATF at Auto Zone to flush the nasty stuff out, and then a bottle of Mobil 1 to fill it. I just need to figure out the easiest way to extend the return line so I can get a bottle in there. I am thinking I can get a 5/8" barb connecter and like 2 feet of 5/8" fuel line to extend that return line enough so I can get a bottle in there to collect the nasty stuff.
One more question, what is the easiest way to disable the ignition so I don't start the car when I am cranking on it, so I can flush out the power steering system?

EDIT: The hose diameter is 3/8" I.D., also clear vinyl tubing is much cheaper than fuel line...

Last edited:
123c said:
One more question, what is the easiest way to disable the ignition so I don't start the car when I am cranking on it, so I can flush out the power steering system?

Pull the fuse for the ignition circut.

Good luck!

-Steve

Worked like a charm, it steers so much nicer with the Mobil 1 in there :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom