Power door locks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of fixing up a central american HJ60, and it has power door locks. Problem is they don't work. However, when the button on the drivers door is pushed, something clicks on the drivers rear side in the wall of the trunk area.
Here are the questions: Is this a dead relay? anyone knows what could be wrong with the locks? how is the wiring laid out?

thanks for the help,
Jan

You have two relays in the rear to control your rear door lock solenoid. Do you hear it when you push up and down or only one direction? FJ61 with locks do not have a main door lock relay. Knowing Toyota I would imagine yours does not have one as well. Here's what I would do to start.
Pull you panel off and disconnect the window switch. All the switch does is redirect the ground circuit.

You should find a red wire...that is your hot B+ lead
You should also find a Blue/Red and a Blue/White those go to you door lock solenoids and rear latch relays.

Take a jumper wire and go between the B+ and the Blue/Red and with another jumper wire touch the Blue/White to a good know ground point. See if it unlocks, if not

Take a jumper wire and go between the B+ and the Blue/White and with another jumper wire touch the Blue/Red to a good know ground point. See if it unlocks.

What we are doing is testing the switch, power source and switch ground for faults.

PM if you want and I'll try to help your further........Dave

By the way the door lock are protected by a circuit breaker......did you check that?

swampymarsh said:
You have two relays in the rear to control your rear door lock solenoid. Do you hear it when you push up and down or only one direction? FJ61 with locks do not have a main door lock relay. Knowing Toyota I would imagine yours does not have one as well. Here's what I would do to start.
Pull you panel off and disconnect the window switch. All the switch does is redirect the ground circuit.

You should find a red wire...that is your hot B+ lead
You should also find a Blue/Red and a Blue/White those go to you door lock solenoids and rear latch relays.

Take a jumper wire and go between the B+ and the Blue/Red and with another jumper wire touch the Blue/White to a good know ground point. See if it unlocks, if not

Take a jumper wire and go between the B+ and the Blue/White and with another jumper wire touch the Blue/Red to a good know ground point. See if it unlocks.

What we are doing is testing the switch, power source and switch ground for faults.

PM if you want and I'll try to help your further........Dave

By the way the door lock are protected by a circuit breaker......did you check that?

Thank you Dave!
I have not checked the circuit breaker yet.
I took the rear panel off, and I can see the two relays. Only one of them clicks, and only when I push the door lock button down ( so only one direction).
I will do what you suggested, that should tell me more.
The truck is a central american 1984 HJ60, with some interesting options (high roof, full floater rear, AC, power door locks (theoretically), 40-60 split front seats, chrome split rims, limited slip). It is rust free, but needs a lot of love otherwise, for example a new engine.

thanks again, best regards,
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom