Post TB Electrical Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finished a timing belt job on my 2005 LC this morning following scottm's thread here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/431177-timing-belt-dummies-writeup.html

And also double-checked everything using the 2004 FSM.

Everything seemed great until I turned the key in the ignition:

1. The tilt steering wheel did not tilt (hmm...)
2. No accessories or dashboard lights, except:
3. ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and BRAKE lights are the only thing lit on the console
4. No power windows, no power locks, no climate, seats don't move, no NAV, no radio, no heated seats, etc. Nothing.
5. Even the OBDII does not work, so no codes

BUT... the truck starts just fine and sounds normal. Also the headlights work, dome light is on, horn works, and so does the buzzer when I open the door.

AND... The transmission is locked in Park, even though its running I cannot shift into Reverse, or Drive.

All I can do is sit and idle. Engine idle sounds normal.

So I vaguely remember that during the TB job I inadvertently bumped the alternator with the power steering pump and the alternator sparked. (d'Oh! I forgot to disconnect the battery) I was focused on the TB job so didn't think much of it until now.

I must have blown a main fuse or something, but its confusing because the rig starts fine. I checked some of the fuses but they all look ok. I checked the fusible link block attached to the battery and those are all solid.

So I've spent hours searching here and looking everywhere.

Since the garage door buttons work too, I was about to close the garage door and let the Carbon Monoxide solve this problem for me, but then I thought posting a question here may be a better idea...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Not looking at an FSM right now but there is a fuse between batt and alt that is likely blown. 100A? 150A? Fusible link? I'd start with a multi-meter to validate fuses.

I will check it out and report back. Thanks for the reply.

OregonLC,
You nailed it. Its one of the inline fusible links feeding most of the electric system. Its located in the Fusible Link Block that is directly connected to the positive battery terminal.

Now I just gotta figure out how to replace it.

Thanks for the tip!

Here are pictures

20131130_210148.jpg

20131130_210205.jpg

Glad you sorted it out. I've never looked inside of that box before... interesting. I would have guessed that each link was replaceable, but the picture makes it look like the entire block gets replaced?

What part(s) are need to fix this? If they are affordable I'd like to have them handy in my expedition kit....

thanks for asking. I intended to followup but forgot. the Toyota oem part number is 82620-60030 and they did not have it in stock so I had to wait for them to order it. its called a fusible link block assembly and cost around $60. The parts technician didnt know what I was asking about until I gave her a part number.

In the mean time I shorted the blown fusible link with a small screw and nut to get running again. I also filed an upstream section of tge fusible link so it would be narrower and hopefully fail at a lower amperage similar to the originsl section. I thought this was essier than soldering.

if I remember I'll post a picture of my "fix" otherwise attached is a picture of the new one.

20131203_162609771292516.jpg

20131203_162537901940636.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom