Possible Turbo Supplier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I still have the Manifold. It was not JDM but a custom done by a shop in California. I can not remember much about it at this time. I may have some notes stashed in some of the boxes I need to clean out, but that is not likely to happen quickly. Never got much past the dream stage due to having extra funds to through at (boy do I wish I was single at times). I just looked at the manifold to see if there was any manufacutre marking to go by, but their is none. The vague conversation I had with the guy was they could get one made but it was going to cost more than I paid for mine, and it would take 3-4 weeks. Any how that is as much as I can remember. later robbie

Dusty most of what you say is great for the 95-97 model years, but the 93-94 years will need most of what you say is not necessary. Just my experence so far. later robbie

clownmidget said:
robbie got it for $500-600 bucks.
powderpig said:
I can not remember much about it at this time.
Even thou Clownmidget quotes above the price or more.. still pretty cheap Rob.
The JDM parts cost so expensive if you convert it to USD its about $1100.00 without shipping, handling and also taxes.
Oh Rob by the way i need to ask you, How much HP gained from the manifold you bought?

ZERO I would think.
Cheers,
Sean

As sean states, O becasue I have not installed it. later robbie

Cant believe I missed this thread.

Romanknight, thank you for updating everyone, but posting that price was not cool. That may be the final price and it may not be the final price, I dont want anyone to be upset if thats not the final cost. That is basically what we are shooting for.

The manifold we will be using will have a remote mount for the wastegate yes, but a custom down pipe will be included in the kit. Currently we are also making a full 3-inch ceramic coated exhaust to go along with the kit, but wont be included. The manifold will be cast iron, not tubular.

Our turbo kit will be CARB certified yes.

I will post some on the stand pictures in a minute.

Here is the base system. The market version will be much cleaner of course, all the pipes will be ceramic coated. Steve
1fzfeturbo12.jpg
1fzfeturbo11.jpg
1fzfewturbo.jpg

beautiful! wow, must have been some work to put this together! congrats!
curious, though, why isn't the compressor outlet facing the intake manifold? you'll have to do a loop back and over?

The compressor end is probably not aimed at the intake due to a intercooler pipe that will take it the intercooler.........

Is there a time frame on this yet????

Will be interesting to stack this up against the legend and compare.

e9999 said:
beautiful! wow, must have been some work to put this together! congrats!
curious, though, why isn't the compressor outlet facing the intake manifold? you'll have to do a loop back and over?

Rainy was right on this, the outlet heads down to the intercooler, then back up to the intake.

Clarkrw3, yeah time frames are a waste of time. Everything to run it is done, but we have to make sure everything works perfect, no leaks, engine codes, etc. We also have to have our heat shield made. As you can see from the pictues, none of the test pipes are ceramic coated yet. We made the dummy pipes first, then the real pipes. If they all work great then we will do a run of the pipes with ceramic coating.

Dusty, we use a piggy-back unichip for the engine management. As far as turbo timers and boost controllers or whatever, they wont be included no. I dont think anything else is needed for the kit really, but you know someone out there will take it to the next level.

Reffug, sorry if I am retarded but is the legend your cruiser? You have the safari turbo right? I would be interested as well to see the difference. We are testing the turbo on my bosses 80, he had the safari on before we decided to do this, so he is really anxious to find out as well.

Here's another old shot of the manifold, look how pretty that motor is!
1fzfeelsa.jpg

what are the advantages of a turbo vs a supercharger?
which one is more fuel efficient? which has better longevity esp for your drivetrain ie. engine?
which one is more bombproof or less to maintain?
Thanks

ronin-0707 said:
what are the advantages of a turbo vs a supercharger?
which one is more fuel efficient? which has better longevity esp for your drivetrain ie. engine?
which one is more bombproof or less to maintain?
Thanks

Wow this is going to spiral out of control, but in my opinion, turbo is better. I have found turbo's to be more fuel efficient than superchargers, and less wear on the engine. Because the turbo is exhaust driven, it requires no extra power to run. Superchargers are belt driven, requiring more demand from the engine. There are a lot more parts with a turbo, so I guess there is more maintanance here. Turbines get very hot, along with the manifold and wastegate, which could lead to problems down the line, but are ea$y to replace. Because turbo kits typically include an intercooler, we have found the vehicle in general to run cooler. We are always fighting superchargers overheating here. I doubt the lower temp thermostat and fan shroud trd supply really help. And not everyone wants to do methanol injection. I'm sure plenty of people will want to argue me on this, but I am pretty confident that a turbo "in general" is a much better choice.

Speaking in general (NOT LC specific): Both are going to require extra maint., both can be intercooled for higher boost/ lower temps. A turbo will generally give you more peak HP, but you will have a steeper than stock power band and "turbo lag" (waiting for the turbo to spool to make power). However, a SC will keep the same power band as stock, just with more power, and no turbo lag. Personally, I would think that a SC would be a better bet in a veh like our Cruisers because of the power off idle, where my Jetta would be more geared to a turbo... I need the lag to get traction!

Again, this is my opinion and it is general! Steve's advise would be the one to take over mine if you were looking specifically for a LC because he has experience. Just make sure you talk to me about blowing a VW!

LR_RESQ said:
Steve's advise would be the one to take over mine.....

Good point! :flipoff2: ............kidding kidding

LR_RESQ said:
A turbo will generally give you more peak HP, but you will have a steeper than stock power band and "turbo lag" (waiting for the turbo to spool to make power).

Well turbo lag is almost a thing of the past these days. I would be extremely curious for someone to document the time it takes a turbo to spool up. For the kit, we are using a ceramic-ball bearing turbine, not the bushing type. This allows it to spool up faster than any other type of turbine. Even the safari turbo had a bushing turbine, anyone running this notice the lag? Dont worry LR_RESQ, I'm not saying your wrong, or trying to pick a fight, but I'm a turbo lover! :cheers:

Last edited:
Steve-O said:
Well turbo lag is almost a thing of the past these days. I would be extremely curious for someone to document the time it takes a turbo to spool up. For the kit, we are using a ceramic-ball bearing turbine, not the bushing type. This allows it to spool up faster than any other type of turbine. Even the safari turbo had a bushing turbine, anyone running this notice the lag? Dont worry LR_RESQ, I'm not saying your wrong, or trying to pick a fight, but I'm a turbo lover! :cheers:

Well, this stuff is REALLY open to decades of debate...

Yes, in theory the ceramic coated ball-bearing turbine will spool up faster than the older plain old "floating" bearing. However, this really isn't demonstrable unless using high boost and the concurrent higher turbine rpms. So for a much smaller engine that you are really trying to work for maximum hp you'd naturally want to run the biggest turbo you could since it could produce the most boost. The downside is that it wouldn't fully spool up until you were way up in the engine's rpm range so you'd want to have the turbo spool up as fast as possible. Then you'd notice those ceramic ball-bearings. In the relatively tame boost range most people would ever want to run the 1fz (<10-lbs) this is pretty much moot. The one benefit would be that you could see is that IF you ever decided to start massaging it, the internals are already up to snuff.

The other point is that the Safari used a Garrett T-04E unit that is readily available with ceramic coated ball bearings, beefed up internals, and even a ceramic coated housing. Further, you can pay someone to rebuild and retrofit all of those guts into your existing T-04 housing for just about $1K. The standard rebuild for a Garrett using the standard inards is under $300.

Lastly, there is some evidence that the older design wears better and requires less frequent rebuilds. Unfortunately, this is highly subjective since the two are typically treated dramatically different as mentioned above.

So in the case of the 1fz it seems like the turbo being used isn't going to produce any dramatic differences alone. I think it will come down to controlling temps and fuel/air management. How well your intercooler works, how well your fuel delivery works, blah, blah, blah.

And for my two cents, I don't see how anyone with an auto tranny is ever going to detect turbo lag! Like eveyone has said before, these are relatively small turbos for this size engine displacement so they spool up by 1200 rpm or so. My slush box is still deciding what part of the drivetrain it wants to let moooooove ;)

BTW, Steve - did you guys have the intake ported & polished? Yes, that engine looks very nice. Reminds me of when I saw the hi-po 2F.

Will your 3" exhaust have to follow the stock routing below the frame? How are you guys addressing the catalytic converters?

Oh well, it's Friday and your system looks like it is coming along great.
Cheers
Mike

In my opinion a Turobcharger is far superior to a supercharger. I have driven vehicles equipped with superchargers and turbochargers and the feeling when the turbo kicks in is indescribable. I am well aware of the superchargers power being "always there", but anyone who has driven a turbo knows what I am talking about.

In my opinion, it's just no comparison. Is it more complicated? Yes. Is it more expensive? Yes. Is it more difficult to install? Yes. Does it have a longer lag time to quick in? Yes.

I don't care. The minute the turbo kicks in and the grin covers your face from ear to ear you will know what I am talking about. Turbo is the way to go. No doubt in my mind.

...and NO OFFENSE to the guys with the Superchargers. Just my .02. Those out there with Turbochargers like Turbo Cruiser and LXEXTREME back me up....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom