Possible purchase. Now a light build! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Xpnsv72fj

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone,

I currently have the option to buy an 03 GX 470 with 143k. The GX has great service record and looks to have been well maintained. It has little to no rust which is always great for a Virginia car. So here's the work I know I'll need to do if I buy it. Rear airbags are leaking as well as one front strut. I would just go ahead and throw a small lift on it at this point. The timing belt hasn't been done so I would do that as well as other PM. Sunroof doesn't work but I don't care I've had them in every car I've owned and never use them. I can buy it for $6500. I figure I've got at least 4k worth of work between lift, tires, and PM. I'll do most everything myself so that might save me a little money. What do you guys think is it worth it? I've owned a few 4Runner and a couple of Land Cruisers but never a GX so I don't know the market or much about them.

Thanks in advance

Sounds good to me. The airbags and strut would probably be upgraded anyway. Used car prices are crazy right now, it sounds cheap.

You 'll love the truck.

Sounds good to me. The airbags and strut would probably be upgraded anyway. Used car prices are crazy right now, it sounds cheap.

You 'll love the truck.

^ 100% this. That’s a great price if all checks out.

If it's a clean title and good service history, you won't find cheaper these days. I would snag it today before someone else does.

Did you actually get underneath it to look at the rust for yourself? If it is not rusted too bad that sounds like a really good price.

Did you actually get underneath it to look at the rust for yourself? If it is not rusted too bad that sounds like a really good price.

Yes, I've had it up on a lift and it's pretty clean underneath.

Thanks, everyone for the replies. I'm going to look it over one more time. I'll let everyone know what direction I go.

Quick update. So I've spent the weekend convincing my wife that I need yet another vehicle. If you can't tell by my signature I have a small Toyota 4x4 problem. Anyways I've been looking at lifts and want to know what you guys recommend? It's between Iron man and Dobinson and I know I could be waiting a while as everyone has stocking issues. I'll be 90% on the pavement with some beach time and light to medium trails. Do you guys think the Nitro Gas shocks are good or do I need to step up to foam cell?

I have Dobinson IMS and I'm really happy with the performance of it on-road and off (not desert racing!!). I like the IMS because it's a simple monotube and seems like it would be simple to have them rebuilt when the time comes. Monotubes can probably be serviced easier by more shock shops as long as Dobinson would supply or suggest the right seal kit etc. also easy to revalve according to them, if your needs become specific. (although that doesn't seem to be your use case).

I have Dobinson IMS and I'm really happy with the performance of it on-road and off (not desert racing!!). I like the IMS because it's a simple monotube and seems like it would be simple to have them rebuilt when the time comes. Monotubes can probably be serviced easier by more shock shops as long as Dobinson would supply or suggest the right seal kit etc. also easy to revalve according to them, if your needs become specific. (although that doesn't seem to be your use case).

Thanks for the reply. Are you running UCA?

Ok, so we've gone from a possible purchase to a light build that always has the potential to turn into more.

So hers the plan for now.

2.5-inch lift Dobinson IMS
JBA UCA
New Wheels and tires (TRD Wheels/Falcon wild peak A/T's)
New Radio/Backup Camera
Timing Belt Water pump
Baseline all PM.

I'll post up pictures a little later.

Last edited:
65351A27-AC93-421F-90AF-6A70B8B7A5E2.jpeg
30317E05-4724-4D0A-940B-8D8AA72391EE.jpeg
5A4CD20B-44EA-48A8-8A0A-5E1B61128F8C.jpeg

Here’s what I’m starting with.
Everything is on order so it’s just a waiting game at this point.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, I have the Ironman Foam Cell Pro suspension on my 03 GX470, stock upper control arms. As of today, the setup has 57,000 miles in use, 80% street (more now as my son in law is driving it) and 20% off road. No problems with the set up and still rides well. Not as plush a ride as my 13 Sequoia Platinum, but has been a good balance between off road and street. My profile photo is a “poser” pic from an off road trip. Tires are 285.70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3 set at 40 psi when on road, reduced to 30 psi for most off road travels. Dobinsons was not an option when I installed my suspension in 2016 and Ironman was the best product (unless one had big dollars for Icon or King). Happy wrenching on your new project!

So I’m in a holding pattern for now waiting for parts to come in. At this point the lift is really the main hang up. I ordered it last week but haven’t heard anything so it’s just a waiting game . The current suspension is shot so no driving till I get everything in. I’ll probably knock the timing belt and water pump out this week.
5B588EE4-6CD7-4587-9874-C2D91D874AEA.jpeg
0DC31CF2-9ADB-4B98-B20C-55A91E526E00.jpeg
911C8BFC-A829-4092-9FCB-15FF3E3B5404.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom