Possible cruiser purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a local cruiser. 1991 with 180k on it. It is in rough shape body wise, I'm going to check out the undercarriage, assuming the frame and suspension components appear to be good, what would a good price be?
received_559597881146039.jpeg
received_303957643724082.jpeg
received_2179524729039511.jpeg
received_2179524729039511.jpeg
received_1924058487675543.jpeg
received_303748417080060.jpeg

looks like it has been sitting. is there a little knob to the left of the steering wheel on the dash? You may have locking axles. Why do you want THIS one? The rust on top means more on the bottom. So max $2500.

I see a snorkel, what other mods?

1k is a good starting price for that much rust.

Did they list an asking price? I mean its fairly low mileage, that rear hatch is in pretty bad shape, obviously some body issues, however that motor is a pooch, looks like it will need new tires, and who knows what else. I'd offer them $1k no more than $1500..jmo

$500.

Rust is no picnic. If the top looks that bad, the bottom is WAY worse.

Wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Since you're in PA, and your choices might be limited to rustbuckets, maybe $1000? But I would recommend you keep looking, unless you're an aspiring body shop apprentice looking for experience.

It depends on what you're doing with it.... If you want a perfect condition DD, no way.

The hatch is bad, but that could just be from a bad window replacement and the entire hatch is replaceable.

Dent in the side rubbed paint off and it started to rust, not unexpected.
It all depends on price and weather or not you're paying someone to work on it.

i love my 91, but if i were you, i would pass on it and spend a little more up front for a more solid platform. All those imperfection will eventually come back and haunt ya. Unless you are looking for a rock crawler to smash rocks

Glad I don't have to deal with rust. If you really want an 80, there are much better available. This one looks like it would take a lot to bring it back.

I bet the bottom is pretty bad.

I'd be curious what the underneath looks like, I'd also recommend having a good look at the front axle and birf's as although the rebuild isn't really hard it's a messy morning's work (I just picked up a 94 that suffered from serious PO neglect and had to do the front axle and a bunch of other stuff)

I personally wouldn't get into this platform at all unless you do you're own spanner work given the age and mileage on most of this things these days!

I'd say either pass, or get it for $1000 and just do oil changes and put gas in it until it dies. The latter option is tough if you want to use it to get out in the back country, as you don't want an unreliable vehicle taking you hundreds of miles from help. That's why, if it were me, I'd pass.

Run forest run...

I'm a no go on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom