Possible CAT problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

snowglobe

SILVER Star
Threads
My engine had trouble starting last Thursday, which has been diagnosed as a stuck on injector, #6. The resulting flood of fuel may have damaged the CAT.
IF the CAT has a problem, I've been quoted $2400 for that part alone.
How many bananas a fix is this?
Is that a good price? I know CATs are pricey but I was expecting far less.
--Jim

Get a different mechanic.

Injector 6 may be/have been stuck, but all that did was overload your cylinder with fuel and may have diluted your oil. The gasoline will burn out of the CAT after it throws a couple codes.

Get the injector fixed and drive it.

It is possible excessive un-burned fuel can ignite in the cat and ruin it, however rare it can happen. Toyota did it to my 3VZE. However, $2400 for an injector and a Cat is way excessive. You can get 6 injectors and an entire exhaust system for less.

You DONT need to be talking to that crook, oops..... I mean mechanic! No way in he#% that ruined your cat, like above said.... fix injector and drive it!! $2400 for a cat and injector!!!! Slap him twice!!

I'm sure the mechanic was quoting you a price for a toyota Cat and injector plus install. If you will never need to pass emissions testing like we do here in CA, you can use a much cheaper aftermarket cat.

Get a different mechanic.

Injector 6 may be/have been stuck, but all that did was overload your cylinder with fuel and may have diluted your oil. The gasoline will burn out of the CAT after it throws a couple codes.

Get the injector fixed and drive it.

^^^^^^^ This.

Do check your oil level, if you find it is significantly higher on your dipstick you are getting fuel in the oil pan (happened to me).

Also watch for engine temps rising at highway speed, then cooling as you slow down (diluted oil).

So, to clarify, they have not said there's a CAT problem, but suspected there could be, as did I. So I asked them how much would it be, if they fixed the CAT. They quoted $2400 just for the part. That's not including the injector work and labor.

Anyway, I'm having them replace that injector, which is on order, and it sounds like I should ask them to change the oil while it's in their hands, and then I'll take it back and deal with emissions separately.

I first brought it to a different shop but they couldnt get to it for at least two weeks so they suggested I take it elsewhere.
SLEE is also in my area but has no time available until August.

I just called the original shop I took it to, and they too quoted 2400 for an OEM CAT. I know it has platinum in it but I was expecting closer to 1000. Anyway, the other shop also recommended I just drive it for a long time, clearing the codes as needed, to see whether the CAT really has to be replaced.

I just called the original shop I took it to, and they too quoted 2400 for an OEM CAT. I know it has platinum in it but I was expecting closer to 1000. Anyway, the other shop also recommended I just drive it for a long time, clearing the codes as needed, to see whether the CAT really has to be replaced.
I think the price on the OEM cat is around $657 and you do need two. He's just doubling prices on parts. Shady, if true.

If the cats need to be replaced, I'd opt for the magnaflow set. Federal compliance is less expensive than the CA/CARB compliance set, plus it includes a new Y-pipe on the first cat.

There's lots of great mechanics in the Denver area. If your mechanic is just throwing parts at it and trying to pin you for $2400, I'd find another mechanic.

Damn that's just insane - I'm thinking of doing my downpipes soon, good to know about the Magnaflow option!

What caused the injector to stick open? If you're in there on injectors, you MAY want to consider having all 6 rebuilt and balanced from someone like WitchHunter. Half the cost of new and only about a week total.

Also be aware that it's not uncommon for the plug connectors on the injectors tend to break or have wire issues during and after handling like this. This may not be EVERYTHING, but it should be a good start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom