Possible 80 Series Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok mudders, long time lurker, first time post. I have a chance to buy a 96 near me. 260k+ miles, no major services, no service records. Its registered non op so probable wont pass smog. On the plus side frame is super clean (CA only truck) downside it is cloth which is rough, no lockers, clear coat is shot. My man wants $8500 which seems super high all things considered, what say you IH8MUD?

I am looking at a similar 80 series this week. It is a 94 and from the pictures looks to be triple locked. It has been an Ohio truck all it’s life per the carfax. It has 287k miles and the dealer wants $8800. I will probably pass as there are probably some serious rust issues underneath. IMO, if it is rust free and it can be made into an operable truck, go for it.

For a trail rig or street car? Sounds perfect for a trail rig. Might bankrupt you if you try to restore it. :) Price isn't bad for a rust free 96 though.

Ok mudders, long time lurker, first time post. I have a chance to buy a 96 near me. 260k+ miles, no major services, no service records. Its registered non op so probable wont pass smog. On the plus side frame is super clean (CA only truck) downside it is cloth which is rough, no lockers, clear coat is shot. My man wants $8500 which seems super high all things considered, what say you IH8MUD?
Honestly, you need to be realistic as to what your use will be. The no locker isn't a deal breaker if your aren't trying to do crazy trails. On non-locked 80 will do most of the normal trails and/or overlanding quite well. Later, if you feel you need a little more you could add a lunch box locker (cheapest) or a full locker (most expensive). As for the cloth interior, I actually prefer it and a good upholstery shop could recover them or if budget allows you could buy the leather kit and convert or go aftermarket. The clear coat being trashed is not a big surprise as most have that issue, once again depends on how much you have to spend and how you want to correct (wrap, dip or paint). Lastly, IMO the main thing for you would be to figure out why it is registered as non-op. This could cost you a lot of money to get it compliant to CA laws. $8500 isn't crazy for these but IMO is a bit high unless you know your actual buy in (or at least a ballpark) to get it registered and legal. Other may chime in with some more insight.

I dunno man, 8k is on the cheap side considering the price of the 80s nowadays. IF you restore it, it will bankrupt you, or if you turn it into a trail rig, it will also bankrupt you as well given your rig needs to be in tip top condition ( you are not only dealing with cosmetics at this point). Either way, add another 20k to your budget if you want a reliable trail rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom