Portable Welders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Running a Mobi-Weld and really happy with it. Solid state and no moving parts. Pretty easy to hook up. You don't have to switch anything when you use it. Plug in the leads and weld. Also has mode selects to give out 12v or 24v.

don't forget option 4: 2-3 batteries, hooked in series, and some 3/32 welding rod. I've done it, works great for trail repairs.

All three are good choices, the Mobi is likely the one I'd do as well for a portable unit. I've heard of people using the readywelder as a home unit as well, running off their Stick welder connections.

I'd probably go with the readywelder as you can supposedly use it for a decent spoolgun in the shop when not on the trail... I wonder if the Syncrowave series can be used as just a DC power source... Hmm... ???

The little known century 131 is my portable welder of choice. I bought mine several years ago. It still works great. It is based on a booster pack design, the great part is that it's wire feed. It will weld 1/4 inch no problem. 80 inches of weld per charge. Totally portable (weighs 45 pounds)

Here's a pic, hope it works!!

Nathan

Problem with having an ON BOARD welder is that every ass hole that does a night run knows that you have a welder and they come drag your ass out of bed ot fix their drunken induced carnage.

Poser was the fawking MAN in Dakota this year, staying up late and waking up early to weld up broken parts.

I love having a buddy with a welder, I just don't want one myself.

If I did, it would be a portable job that I could loan out without my presence needed at 4 am.

the Ready Welder II is what I would choose..light/small, spool operated, battery powered. Like whiney says above, nuthin worse than getting drug out at midnight to weld up some clowns junk...bad enuf doing midnight winch sessions. My only concern would be their ability to use/return without screwing things up.

I agree with Nolen and Woody. I wouln't mind having my own welder to use for times when I break on when the guys on the trail break, but don't want to be bothered at night.

Been woke up for people I do not know, more than I could possibly remember over the years, I guess that I am just used to it...never went looking to help people, they just kinda found me I guess..

I play pretty hard, and do my best to take care of my own s***, and that of those I call a friend, and bring enough tools and parts to repair just about anything that might lay down on a trip, for not just me, but others too.

Loaned a stock 74 vac retard dist. to the Toyota motorsports rep. and family that was vacationing in the Black Hills in '01 for the BHCC. His took a poop, and for some reason, I had one.

I guess that when, not if, the world really poops in my punch bowl, I hope that someone will be kind enough to help a guy out, who has helped many out before....Kinda a proactive karma thing..

-Steve

hehehe...never said I didn't do it, it just drives me nuts....unfortunately, my experience with my own recovery sessions has made me a resident expert...not necessarily a good thing at 3am after a few :beer:

I hear ya Brian..

The only other thing that I think I left off was that I am usually one of the last to go to bed, and being up late at events usuallly attracks all sorts of fun...

I have a premier.
At the BHCC it stuck in "weld" mode and sucked my batteries dry..

Kinda put a serious damper on the day for me..

$50 to fix and I was rolling again.

Was it that silver ford-esque voltage regulator deal on the bottom of the controller?

I started my truck up to head out Thursday, and something inside that magic blue premier box was cycling on and off, click, click, click, click.

It stopped after about 10 minutes, my batteries did not, and have not, gone dead, but it sure was odd, had never acted that way before..

[quote author=Poser link=board=12;threadid=6612;start=msg82794#msg82794 date=1072910992]
Was it that silver ford-esque voltage regulator deal on the bottom of the controller?

I started my truck up to head out Thursday, and something inside that magic blue premier box was cycling on and off, click, click, click, click.

It stopped after about 10 minutes, my batteries did not, and have not, gone dead, but it sure was odd, had never acted that way before..
[/quote]

Nah, it was the solenoid that is in the inside of the premier box..
But I believe it would click when engaging and disengaging..

I have the solid state VR on mine.

It took me a lot of driving before the batteries went dead..

Considering the amount of use my premier has gotten I was dissapointed to see it had died..

I had meant to get in touch with the old man that designed the things and ask him about what was going on. Sounds like I should get the info on the piece you replaced, and have one or two of them around. I have not used mine a whole lot, but when I have needed it, it has worked great.

Broke out the Ready welder out there in the Hills this year, worked great! Was amazed at just how simple it was to operate, the quality of the product, and the work it could do. I think mine came with .030 flux core wire, and I all but burnt through a piece of 7/16 with it just playing around...

You will probably talk to the half designer of the premier.
I think he actually designed another unit that is like the premier.
Nice guy,

I keep trying to find a cheaper source for the solenoids.

Your best bet is to attach the temporary voltage regulator under your hood and use that if anything happens.

Mine is now permanently attatched. Loss of the welder is one thing. Loss of your charging system sucks..

THe ready welder is a very neat unit. I might get one someday if I ever stop spending money on the cruiser instead...
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom