Portable Puma compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
We needed a compressor for Ms LCP's RamCruiser but no one offered a portable Puma. WIth my strong love for Puma I decided to make one. Starting with a brand new Puma set up I divorced the compressor and installed it in a waterproof case from Harbor Frieght. I needed to make a mounting bracket to fit securely in the box but that was the extent of needed special parts everything else was over the counter.

IMG_7587.JPG

Striving for peak performance I went with Hi-flo fittings from Milton. Testing showed no benefit other than cool looking and lightweight. :meh:

IMG_7565.JPG

Because it is a live system for safety I reversed the connections so a normal air hose will not work. For power protection I used an auto reset 40A breaker. For a hose, I used a 25' from Amflo the lightest quality hose I could find. Power was supplied using an old 12' 8 gauge cable with clamps. One of the best discoveries in the build is the tire chuck from Jaco its a super quality billet aluminum free flow chuck that has excellent sealing and super nice to use.

IMG_7583.JPG

Performance is Puma great and a portable set up is no different. Using a 100% flat 35" Nitto in 4 minutes you are at 34psi. This set will air up 4 - 35's from 15-36psi in under 10minutes start to finish or 4 - 35's on 17's from 20-55psi in 15minutes. Once done the compressor is cool enough to where you can pack it away safely.

The down side to the set up IMO is the weight. The weight of the set up is 31lbs a little heavy for portable for me. The size is too big also requiring a lot of real estate. with that said the box is almost indestructible and very waterproof. It would fit in a smaller box but getting everything packed away was a PIA. I have a little less than $400 invested for the anyone wanting to go this route. Because a Puma will be going in our RamCruiser I would be willing to sell the portable set up for what I have in it for someone of interest. This would be a good option for someone with more than one off road vehicle.

Last edited:
Love my puma.

pretty slick set up

Great write up, as all of yours are! I have a Puma inbound and plan on installing it in the cargo area.

Question on your comment "Because it is a live system for safety I reversed the connections so a normal air hose will not work".
Does this mean that since the pressure cutoff is removed from the system, you want an open hose so there is no pressure build up when not connected?
But then if you add the air chuck to the end of the hose, and when it's not attached to a tire, isn't it then closed and causing a safety issue?

Great write up, as all of yours are! I have a Puma inbound and plan on installing it in the cargo area.

Question on your comment "Because it is a live system for safety I reversed the connections so a normal air hose will not work".
Does this mean that since the pressure cutoff is removed from the system, you want an open hose so there is no pressure build up when not connected?
But then if you add the air chuck to the end of the hose, and when it's not attached to a tire, isn't it then closed and causing a safety issue?

No, they jaco chuck he used is an open flow, so it doesn’t shut down air flow connected or not, exactly what you would want for something like this.

We needed a compressor for Ms LCP's RamCruiser but no one offered a portable Puma. WIth my strong love for Puma I decided to make one. Starting with a brand new Puma set up I divorced the compressor and installed it in a waterproof case from Harbor Frieght. I needed to make a mounting bracket to fit securely in the box but that was the extent of needed special parts everything else was over the counter.

View attachment 2254109

Striving for peak performance I went with Hi-flo fittings from Milton. Testing showed no benefit other than cool looking and lightweight. :meh:

View attachment 2254112

Because it is a live system for safety I reversed the connections so a normal air hose will not work. For power protection I used an auto reset 40A breaker. For a hose, I used a 25' from Amflo the lightest quality hose I could find. Power was supplied using an old 12' 8 gauge cable with clamps. One of the best discoveries in the build is the tire chuck from Jaco its a super quality billet aluminum free flow chuck that has excellent sealing and super nice to use.

View attachment 2254116

Performance is Puma great and a portable set up is no different. Using a 100% flat 35" Nitto in 4 minutes you are at 34psi. This set will air up 4 - 35's from 15-36psi in under 10minutes start to finish or 4 - 35's on 17's from 20-55psi in 15minutes. Once done the compressor is cool enough to where you can pack it away safely.

The down side to the set up IMO is the weight. The weight of the set up is 31lbs a little heavy for portable for me. The size is too big also requiring a lot of real estate. with that said the box is almost indestructible and very waterproof. It would fit in a smaller box but getting everything packed away was a PIA. I have a little less than $400 invested for the anyone wanting to go this route. Because a Puma will be going in our RamCruiser I would be willing to sell the portable set up for what I have in it for someone of interest. This would be a good option for someone with more than one off road vehicle.
Covid engineering😎

No, they jaco chuck he used is an open flow, so it doesn’t shut down air flow connected or not, exactly what you would want for something like this.
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom