Pop top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody buy an existing fiberglass Pop Top rooftop tent, then carve up your roof... and Marry the two?

Yep, works awesome! I used a Alu-Cab Expedition III.

InkedSPB_1756_LI.jpg

20191011_192429.jpg

If I get enough interest, I may be releasing a kit or do custom install's for people. I would be leaning to the custom install aspect as there is quite a bit of structural modifications that need to be done. Its not as simple as cutting a big hole in your rig and glue a RTT to it.

Shots of it in the stowed position. its very quiet at freeway speeds, I would say no more wind noise than stock with a roof rack on it.
I lost 170lbs of roof weight going from a roof rack and a Tepui RTT to this.

20190519_081710.jpg

20190320_190351.jpg

I also added 220 watts of solar power, 4.5 gallon hot water heater with a 10.5 water tank and a Alu-Cab shower cube. The IsoTemp hot water heater is a heat exchange from the engine cooling system, so when you get to your camp spot the hot water is already waiting for you! Its insulated so it retains it's heat for quite some time.

20190413_163428.jpg

20191011_104714.jpg

20190429_193718.jpg

Last edited:
That's a pretty sweet build, thanks for sharing those pics and that information. Well done!

We use the sunroof to access the "tent" no ladders needed. I bought a DVS center console for our "step" to get into it.

So you lay down the panels that form the bed and then use the sunroof to step up into the foot of the bed? Where do you store the panels?
Sweet build! I almost did this with a spare VW Westy top I had.

👍👍👍

So you lay down the panels that form the bed and then use the sunroof to step up into the foot of the bed? Where do you store the panels?
Sweet build! I almost did this with a spare VW Westy top I had.

The bed is on a hinge and has gas struts to hold it in the vertical position when you push it up. when its time to sleep you pull it down and open the sunroof sunshade slide and push open the access hatch and climb in. Once in, you close the access hatch and that is where your feet rest.
When you or your wife have to use the privy, one person has to move there legs so the hatch can open so they can get below. This is the only down side, but as the 80 series is only so long... its as good as its gonna get. The hatch is MUCH better than climbing down a ladder from the side, on the outside of the vehicle... in the dark, cold or rain.

Last edited:
Really slick @Cruzilla. Didn't even consider how much weight you shed with the cut, seems as though you are pretty close to stock roof weight now and still have your sleeping arrangements upstairs. Win-win.

ASPW did that with his 79 Troopy. Supah nice. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom