pondering my speedometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, maybe some of you have had a similar experience and can help me out on this one. About 2 weeks ago, my speedo started to become erratic (as opposed to erotic... if that happened, I would probably just keep this to myself). I suspect it is the speed sensor on the back of the transfer cace, but it could also be the speedo head or possibly the wiring. The speedo needle works occasionally but doesn't work most of the time and sometimes it bounces up and down while I'm driving. I have also on one or two occasions seen it bounce while I was sitting at a stoplight. I just wanted to know if anyone else has has a similar experience and what fixed it. The cost of parts keeps me from wanting to start swapping parts until I finally find that special one that does the trick. Thanks in advance for the help. :cheers:

is the 94 electric or mechanical? the early ones were mechanical, the later electric, I don’t know when the changeover was, your symptoms sound like problems I have had with mechanical speedo's

the 94 is an electrical system. The problems I'm having act like a mechanical problem though.

IIRC, the drive gear off the t-case is plastic...possible the teeth have stripped/worn...

otherwise, triple check all the connections, checking for corrosion...trace the wires checking for pinch points or a poor ground connection...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom