POLL: Which common repairs have been completed on your 200 series? If any. (1 Viewer)

Which of these "common" 200 Series repairs have been completed on your 200 series?

• Radiator Crack/Leak

Votes: 65 42.5%
  • Valley Plate Leak

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • Cam Tower Leak

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Starter Failure

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Secondary Air Injection System (SAIS)

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Water Pump Leak

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • KDSS Valve Replacement

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • AHC Refresh/Globe Replacement

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 72 47.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
It's been a long while since I posted a poll, and I know how much you guys love a good poll, so here is what I'm thinking.... After a lot of searching, I identified 8 common repairs on the 200 series, or what more often have been referred to as common repairs and I figured I would see just how common they really are. So the question is specific to your rig. Which of these repairs have been completed on YOUR rig, to the best of your knowledge? If you have evidence that a previous owner repaired some of these things, feel free to include those repairs.

If you think I missed an obvious one that would be perceived as 'common' by the community, please comment below.

***Added "None of the Above" option for what I suspect will be a large number of folks who haven't run into these 'common' problems.***

***Another note: I would suggest that modifications and repairs of a stuck KDSS valve should be included under KDSS valve replacement. Lots of folks have had terribly rusted/stuck valves and had to do significant work to open them up, which should be the point.***

Last edited:
on my 2013 LC Previous owner had issues with the auto rain sensor. It was replaced under warranty. Seems like a semi common complaint of the wiper system here.

Non common but expensive repair I had at 95k is a leaky rear main seal , one of the lucky few to experience this on their 200.

Just at 56K miles so answer was none. However did have rack and pinion replaced under warranty due to leak about 9K ago. Yes do enjoy a good poll.

Just at 56K miles so answer was none. However did have rack and pinion replaced under warranty due to leak about 9K ago. Yes do enjoy a good poll.

I set the poll up such that anybody can come back and change their answer should they encounter one of these issues in the future. New owners are encouraged to respond as well.
Some of my previous polls have garnered well over 100 responses, which is a good point at which the data begins to have some meaning, so hopefully we get strong participation.

What about 'mudders that have had multiple 200 series? Can we/they take the poll more than once?

Not sure it merits a checkbox, but the Fuel pump ECU has popped up a few times.

And are these "natural" failures (as opposed to the "forced" ones like the sais driver dying because of the slee compressor bracket damaging wires).

What about 'mudders that have had multiple 200 series? Can they take the poll more than once?

Well I supposed it could be viewed as a poll of owners experiences, which would mean combining all into one response. No way I know of to vote more than once as separate entries.

I don't know how to answer. My '13 had the fuel pump ecu die at almost exactly 100k. The water pump had pink crusties at 105k. Everything else was preventative maintenance (except the sais driver which was damaged by the poorly designed Slee compressor bracket). My '16 has been problem free.

I don't know how to answer. My '13 had the fuel pump ecu die at almost exactly 100k. The water pump had pink crusties at 105k. Everything else was preventative maintenance (except the sais driver which was damaged by the poorly designed Slee compressor bracket). My '16 has been problem free.

I would probably just mark the Water Pump and None of the Above.

I have “preemptively” replace some of these things as part of rebase lining at 150K. Others were replaced but due to a deer strike. I’m not indicating those because the didn’t fail the “common” way.

suggest adding alternator, PS pump, and side mirror actuator.

Radiator and water pump replaced 140K, 120K
Had nuts welded on KDSS system to be able to open and replace shocks - 120K
Muffler replaced due to NH rust - 120K
Steering wheel clock spring timer - 140K
normal brake items including all 4 calipers at 120K
3 door actuators at 90K

owned since new Jan 2011

Radiator and water pump replaced 140K, 120K
Had nuts welded on KDSS system to be able to open and replace shocks - 120K
Muffler replaced due to NH rust - 120K
Steering wheel clock spring timer - 140K
normal brake items including all 4 calipers at 120K
3 door actuators at 90K

owned since new Jan 2011

I would suggest that modifications and repairs of a stuck KDSS valve should be included under KDSS valve replacement. Lots of folks have had terribly rusted/stuck valves and had to do significant work to open them up, which should be the point.

I have “preemptively” replace some of these things as part of rebase lining at 150K. Others were replaced but due to a deer strike. I’m not indicating those because the didn’t fail the “common” way.

suggest adding alternator, PS pump, and side mirror actuator.

Didn’t find a lot of PS Pump or Side mirror actuator examples but did consider including the alternator. The reason I didn’t was because it seemed like a lot of the alternator failures have happened at higher mileage than I would consider premature. Open to adding it, but would like some more feedback.

Didn’t find a lot of PS Pump or Side mirror actuator examples but did consider including the alternator. The reason I didn’t was because it seemed like a lot of the alternator failures have happened at higher mileage than I would consider premature. Open to adding it, but would like some more feedback.
Agree I don’t think PS pump is a common one. I pulled mine after I bought the new one. Nothing was wrong with it. I did it because I don’t think the PS fluid had ever been changed in 150k.

I have the impression that the side mirrors wig out a little more commonly. There are only a few post on here (one of the mine) but there are YouTube vids on how to take them apart so that makes me think it happens more than rarely.

the list could be never ending and I get you are focused on premature failures. That’s useful for those who like to preempt issues.

I would suggest that modifications and repairs of a stuck KDSS valve should be included under KDSS valve replacement. Lots of folks have had terribly rusted/stuck valves and had to do significant work to open them up, which should be the point.
It isn't kdss valve replacement, it is simply corroded shutter valve screw(s). I think I've heard of one kdss valve body replacement.

It isn't kdss valve replacement, it is simply corroded shutter valve screw(s). I think I've heard of one kdss valve body replacement.

Yeah, I tried to clarify, but I can't alter the poll to adjust.

Another fairly common failure…and classic cause of seemingly-unrelated system lockouts: *Wheel speed sensors…*

P1080660.JPG

I did overland travel 70`000 miles (120`000km) and pretty much offoad in the past 10 years with this Land Cruiser 200 (european spec) you can see above.

I try to visualize my trips on the map below:

J20-landcruiser-v8-diesel-d4d-trippin.JPG

The list of my Spares / Repairs:
3x Frontscreen (Mauretania, South Africa, Germany)
1x Side Window (car break-in in Peru, repaired in Bolivia) (funny story how I did have to do an house search by myself)

And this spares:
53420-60050 Hood Hinge Assembly (welded in Peru, replaced back at home)
88710-6B580 Tube ASSY Airconditioner (soldered in Bolivia, replaced later back at home)
88460-60400 CONDENSER ASSY,COOLER
48702-35670 2x Buche (gum Part from the aftermarked upgraded AHC dampers)

All of the three articles above, was the result of track driving with speed, or offroading. There would have been normal maintenance - If I would have sticked to the tarmac tracks.

If you like you can see more pictures @ my trip reports:
Transafrica Blog (20`500km) 2012: Trans-Africa
Iceland (6000 km) 2014 : Reisetipp: Island mit dem 4x4
Southamerica Blog (36`000km) 2015: Adventure-Overland
Europe 2019 (7000 km): Reisetipp: Osteuropa mit dem 4x4
Sweden 2020 (6000 km): Overlanding in Sweden

Auto-Ersatzteile-weltreise-welt-weit.jpg
DSC01613.JPG

trippin

Last edited:
I had a driver's side mirror failure as well 2016 model. It would fold all the way forward upon start up. Only time I’ve ever bought and extended warranty and thank goodness I did. Mirror is $1400+ install and calibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom