Plug size for air injection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry about that crappy picture guys. It looked better on the computer before I sent it. It is a picture of the aircleaner hole. I plugged it with a AN threaded plug that I RTV'd in place then painted black, much like the rubber stopper that JP_FJ40 mentioned. as for the plugs for the air rail. I bought Metric 14mm 1.5 pitch allen key plug. I have yet to try it but I figure it will work.

The ones I got are from AAA Metric here in Denver, they look like the one in this link allen plug

Can't find the receipt right now for them, but that's the JIS pitch for that size of plug (and I know for sure it's M14), so I think that's the right pitch.

i wonder if my guy recommended 1/4" brass because of (relative) availability, and the reality that the softness of the brass will let the threads conform to the metric pitch. they'll never have to come out so corrosion isn't an issue.

The fittings from the stock rail are brass. The plugs I'm putting in tonight are steel. I don't see the big deal. If they corrode they will be locked in place. Its not like I will ever be taking them out.

Worked fine

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 said:
The fittings from the stock rail are brass. The plugs I'm putting in tonight are steel. I don't see the big deal. If they corrode they will be locked in place. Its not like I will ever be taking them out.
I put the steel plugs in with loctite last night and they worked fine. They are pretty much recessed and don't look bad at all. I took pictures but I cannot find the stupid USB cable to download the damned things from my camera. I'll do so this weekend and update. I also took better pics of the air cleaner plug mentioned earlier in this thread.

JP_FJ40 said:
now to figure out what to plug the EGR port on my carb with.

The cheap and easy thing is to plug it with the EGR valve. Just disconnect the vacuum actuator line and it will stay closed and plugged.

the other issue is finding a nice way to cap the pipe that comes off the air cleaner top that fed air to the air pump. Specter shows one that was apparently available for Canada, but is discontinued. i was just going to use a big black rubber stopper and jam it in there with a bead of weather strip cement around it.

any thoughts?

What I used was one of the rubber caps that came on the end of a tube of brazing rods. Correct size, tight fit, and green. It is hard to find vacuum caps in that size. Some A/C equipment comes new with those caps on them to keep dust out.

here is a pic of the FJ62 head plug. Its more than the NPT pipe plugs for sure, but wont jack up the threads, and has the seat at the bottom to correctly seal against the machining in the head. I am retarded about that sorta stuff and they fit the bill.
air rail plug-2RS.JPG

snailwagon said:
the other issue is finding a nice way to cap the pipe that comes off the air cleaner top that fed air to the air pump.

any thoughts?
If it's the same thing I'm thinking of I used a rubber stopper thingy that you put on the bottom of chairs and table legs so they don't scratch up floors. Local hardware store, I think they were 7/8" or 1" - but I had to buy a package of two, so now I have an extra ;p

Thanks for the thread. Just pulled the smog stuff off an F and needed the plug sizes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom