Please help...what's wrong with my electrical system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I want to thank the members for sharing truely valuable experience and information via this website!

So this is what happened. I was driving home on Monday (in the rain) and everything was fine. Wipers were going, radio on, heater on....Since is was getting dark i decided to turn on the headlights...clicked (running lights) and BAM ....instantly everything went dead (the engine died, radio died, lights died, heater died...you get the picture). I got the truck over to the side of the road and turned off the ignition. Let it sit for a minute and tried to start it...nothing. There was no starter "click", no cab lights, the warning flashers didn't work, no dash lights, no head lights...the only thing that worked were the running lights (but no head lights).

Got the truck towed home after a 2.5 hour wait for the tow truck (waiting for a flat bed). Anyway, I took the alternator down to the local starter and alternator shop and it tested fine..(90 amps). I can only assume the battery is fine also (it has 5 K miles on it).

I don't know if this is related, but last week I did replace all my battery cables and added a few grounds (block, starter, chassis, and body) and they are all clean and tight. This was however the first time I drove the LC with heater, lradio, wipers, and lights (for an instant anyway) on at the same time...

So guys (and gals) what do you think? Fusible link (it sure looks fine)? One of the Relays? Did I fry the compter?

I'm at a loss on where to look next. I'd really appreciate any insight or suggestions.

V/r

you fried the fusible links, can get em new from the dealer for $10-ish or you can make your own.

they are in the little box(if I recall on a 62) off the positive cable off the battery

radd5 said:
I can only assume the battery is fine also (it has 5 K miles on it).

Fusible link (it sure looks fine)?
V/r

As simple as it looks have the Battery tested

And the Fuse Link 'looks' good but does it test good?

Sounds like a Main Fuse of some sort went. And the computer has no effect on Starter cranking at all so if nothing works I'd start right at the battery........

to test the link you can jump/bypass them, if it starts up......its the links, but dont run it jumped..........just test it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom